Sign in to follow this  

haha here we go again....WHICH BIKE?? PLEASE

gday all

well i know it has been asked a million times but i kind of need some advice cos i have been out of the game for awhile.

a little background. I grew up on a large farm in australia and rode bikes all the time. i guess these days i'd be a intermediate/advanced rider. i've just turned 40 and the last bikes i rode were in my mid 20's and they were xr's and tt's and the odd cr but all in all i grew up on 4 strokes.

so the time has come to swing my leg over again.

i'm about 6'3 ish and about 100kg or 220lbs i think it is. pretty fit and active. am keen to do some trail riding with mates but the plan is to have a bike that can do a bit of everything and occasionally ride on the road getting to and from trails etc. i have no interest in using it as a road bike or as a commuter so i reckon 90% will be dirt work.

ok so here is where i'm at as far as choices. initially a friend who is an expert rider had me sold that a crf450x is the way to go until i started to read about them and the valves and maintenance etc. then someone told me about a drz450e as they are super reliable and go forever but i've heard they are a bit bland in performance compared to crf's husky's etc. then i got told a 2 stroke 250/300 could be the go as there is meant to be less maintenance but with my 4 stroke past i'd need some convincing and are these any good for the little bit of road work i might need to do from time to time and i'm not sure of a fit for my body size.

moving on someone suggested a yam wr450.....reliable and good and someone else a husky or ktm......strong motors and great bikes.

as you can see my head is going in circles so i'll put down what i'm thinking.

i want a 2nd hand bike prob anywhere from 2005 to 2009 model. i like the idea of the reliability of a drz but i love the idea of the more fun crf450 and husky's etc and if i have to spend some money from time to time on having a more fun bike then i'm willing to without it getting ridiculous. i don't know if my height and weight are out of whack to look at a husky 2 stroke 250 or 300 as i've read they are tall bikes anyway. unfortunately having been out of the game for so long i'm not familiar with how far bikes have come but my mate with the crf reckons it'll blow my mind which i'm sure it will.

so here are the questions

1. is a 250 too small for someone like me or will it still be bloody fun to ride ?

2. are husky's ktm's a better choice due to their reliability than a jap from what i have read

3. crf450's have a great wrap but are they over the top in maintenance and at my age and level is it really worth it for what i'll get out of it and what i want to do with it.

help please

cheers and thanks for reading this far, i've probably bored you all.

I just went through almost the exact same situation, I'm 40 6'3" and 240lbs. I looked at all of the bikes you mentioned plus some. I did have the chance to ride a wr250 which helped me decide that I wanted bigger. I ended up with KTM 400 EXC, So far I like it a lot but I could see me getting the 450 EXC eventually just for the added power. I rode a KTM 450SX yesterday, pretty sweet! Might be a bit much for the tight trails around here but it was fun in the open. For me I think the 250 was too small, it's fun but I like a little more power and the KTM feels less cramped as well.

hey thanks a heap guys and it's funny Scott cos i just got off the phone with a guy about a 450EXC 2006 with 2000km's on it. seems like a nice bike so i migh ttake a look. also got my eye on a 2006 TE 410 at the mom. Thanks for the feedback about a 250. having been out of the game so long it's just bloody hard to know how far these bikes have come. thanks again and happy riding

hey thanks a heap guys and it's funny Scott cos i just got off the phone with a guy about a 450EXC 2006 with 2000km's on it. seems like a nice bike so i migh ttake a look. also got my eye on a 2006 TE 410 at the mom. Thanks for the feedback about a 250. having been out of the game so long it's just bloody hard to know how far these bikes have come. thanks again and happy riding

oh what is the diff between the exc and sx by the way??

The KTM (and I would think the husky also) will be more maintenance than either the 450x or the WR450. IMO the WR450 is the most reliable competitive 4 stroke out there, but I have nothing bad to say about the 450x either.

haha thanks for that, appreciate it but now more confused hahaha. i thought huskies and ktm's would be less maintenance after reading the forums on here. after reading alot of sites etc i thought the crfx could be a fair bit of maintaining but the euro bikes were pretty rock solid and didn't need much. I do like the yammie but read that they were a bit of a tank compared to the others in handling and performance. bugger it, i might go for the dart board i think haha

My brother had a 2003 KTM 450EXC and the maintenance the manual called for was borderline insane. It had things like change the oil every 5 hours (this is just a guess, but it was really often). How is that even possible? Do you have to take oil with you on a ride and change it in the middle of the day? Even if you were to stretch it to DOUBLE what the manual calls for you would still have to change it in the middle of a three day weekend which can be a pain. My brother followed the maintenance as closely as he reasonably could and had nothing but issues with that bike. From then on I have made sure to steer clear of the color orange. My buddy has a 2007 Husky TE450 and it has major starting issues. He is always having to jump start it off of the truck or motor home. Both the 450EXC and TE450 have AWESOME motors IMO, but the maintenance and reliability issues I have experienced with them is just not worth it, especially for someone who might not be racing.

ah sweet, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. i'm only looking at doing weekend rides with a few mates in national parks and i'd say due to my friends abilities we won't be going too beserk. a couple have drz 400 e's but are pretty new to dirt biking. i do know that one of these would prob do me too but i also want to have something a bit more fun that i can hammer a bit if the urge takes me.

Any time Lance

I have not had any issues yet with the KTM and neither have any of the guys I ride with. I agree with woodsrider that the WR's are great bikes, in fact the last bike I had was YZ250 so I have nothing against Yami's. I looked closely at getting a WR450 before I went orange. The deciding factor for me was the weight and feel of the WR, it just felt bigger and heavier than the KTM. (I think the WR is like 20lbs heavier) Either way I don't think you can go wrong, sit on and ride as many as possible, then pick what feels the best to you. good luck:thumbsup: