Sign in to follow this  

'10 TE250 bad coil?

Bike has been cutting out at the most inoppertune times.

I seems to be water related. I run through a puddle then the next time I hit the gas it dies then comes back.

I noticed when I wet the coil it missed and runs like crap...when I dry the coil it runs better. I think the hi-voltage coil is leaking though I cannot see any sparks nor do I get jolted when I grab the plug wire.

Should I swap out the coil?

This coil has a blue connector where the older ones seem to have terminals.

Do they swap otherwise?

What might a new one cost?

Thanks

A new husky ignition coil is 35.00. I would check the wire into the coil, and the wire into the plug cap. These can become loose and cause what you describe. Let us know what you find and good luck. PS the plug wire usually screws into the coil and cap.

Edited by rancher1
add more

Sounds very familiar! I was given a heads up by another rider about this and so checked it out and................whalaaaah. Packed with damp mud and appeared somewhat open to water intrusion. Fixed with cleaning and silicone. Link to my thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/jd-jetting-power-surge-6x-fi-tuner.16081/#post-144060

The power surge + sealing the coil completely cleaned up my 250's fueling/bog issues.

Sounds very familiar! I was given a heads up by another rider about this and so checked it out and................whalaaaah. Packed with damp mud and appeared somewhat open to water intrusion. Fixed with cleaning and silicone. Link to my thread: http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/jd-jetting-power-surge-6x-fi-tuner.16081/#post-144060

The power surge + sealing the coil completely cleaned up my 250's fueling/bog issues.

Dude that is it!

I 1st thought it was the rock craters but noticed when I hit puddles it would cut out then come back...I have the same downhill issues as well.

I also noticed the coil "gaps" around the mounting lug.

I'm going to silicone it tonite.

Thanks again!

A new husky ignition coil is 35.00. I would check the wire into the coil, and the wire into the plug cap. These can become loose and cause what you describe. Let us know what you find and good luck. PS the plug wire usually screws into the coil and cap.

I'll check that.

I just yanked the coil wire out of the coil.

I'll cut and rescrew it.

thanks!

Interesting for this topic to pop up now, my '04 450 did the same thing a few weeks ago. I thought it was a fueling issue until the motor finally died two days into my trip. I haven't been able to get her to re-fire since. I've been checking grounds, fuses, connections, everything but still no spark. I'm thinking, at least in my case, the coil is dead...

Hope your's works out better. :thumbsup: