Bike Flooded out? Help!

2002 DRZ400s

I was riding today. Rode for maybe an hour and we stopped and cut the bike off. Got back on and it wouldn't start. I could smell gas. I held throttle wide open after it set maybe for 5mins and it finally fired. Not long after that I stopped again and it died at idle. This time it was pouring gas out of the tube from the top of the carb in spurts? I tried to get it started every which way but it would not fire. So my cousin give me a ride on his bike to get the truck. Thank the Lord we weren't far from home. We killed the battery trying to get it started. It wouldn't fire. Now it's home and got the battery charging. I think it would start now that it's set for maybe 2 hours once the battery is charged. Any ideas? It's always started easy when cold. Then once you ride it awhile I normally have to give it a little gas to get it to start. It's never been like this.

Edit: It also had alot of pressure in the gas tank when I checked to make sure it had plenty. Is this normal?

Are you using your choke? I believe a properly jetted bike will need the choke to warm up then run right without it. Give it more gas on a 4 stroke has always caused a flooding issue for me. A couple of other things to check are you actual fuel hose and float level, if your float is not closing then additional fuel will continue to fill the carb and overflow out the overflow tube.

Pressure in the gas tank is not normal. I suggest you look into that, first.

This time it was pouring gas out of the tube from the top of the carb in spurts?

If gas is dripping, pouring, or spurting, something is wrong. Cranking the bike isn't going to fix anything. Depleting the charge on a lead-acid battery is not good for it. Hopefully your battery is still good.

My thoughts as to possible cause:

- Carb float is stuck, which means that the carb is not shutting off the flow of gas from the tank.

- Additionally, the petcock should stop the flow of gas when the engine is off. Take off the fuel line from the petcock. In the ON position, no gas should be draining from the tank. In the PRIME position, gas should drain freely.

- Check the emissions canister which might still be attached to the vent line on the tank. If it has been flooded with fuel, it no longer allows air to flow in or out of the tank equalizing the tank pressure to atmospheric pressure.

2002 DRZ400s

Edit: It also had alot of pressure in the gas tank when I checked to make sure it had plenty. Is this normal?

Not normal. You have a gas tank venting issue. Find and fix the venting problem, then change your oil. Is this a stock steel tank, or an aftermarket plastic tank? Your tank needs to vent both ways - It must allow air into the tank to compensate for fuel used, and allow fuel vapors out when the fuel becomes heated. Aftermarket check valve "thingies" will only cause you misery - don't ask how I know that...

It is the stock tank, although it had a 3.9 gallon clarke tank when I bought it. I took it off and put the stock one back on. Didn't like the looks of the clarke. When I changed tanks the petcock worked properly. So the emissions thingy is what it vents through?

So it's possible the float is hung. I'll recheck the petcock and other options before taking the carb off. I took it off once before and I thought it was a bear to do. But i'll do what I have to to fix it.

BTW it fired right up this morning I'll proabley take a ride closer to the house this evening.

The pressurized tank is your issue and its not caused by a stuck float. You need to find out why your tank is not venting properly.

Thanks for direction. Where is the tank vent? Is it made in to the gas cap? I took it a ride today once it got hot (fan on) I stopped and opened the tank and it had alot of pressure again, but hadn't affected the carb yet. But ain't sure where the vent is. Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for direction. Where is the tank vent? Is it made in to the gas cap? /QUOTE]I took it a ride today once it got hot (fan on) I stopped and opened the tank and it had alot of pressure again, but hadn't affected the carb yet. But ain't sure where the vent is. Thanks for all the help![

It depends on which version you have. The California version has a stainless steel gas cap and the tank vent comes out of the bottom rear of the tank and vents into a charcoal canister located to the rear of the battery. The other version has a black gas cap with six lobes - and the vent is built into the cap.

I have the other version, I'll have to take a closer look at the cap. So the PDF file above isn't for mine i'm guessing?