Sign in to follow this  

Taking sound packing out of muffler

hi guys, just wondering about this, i suspect that mines all gone, im just wondering if i rip it out if it will be OK, i know guys say the carbon fiber mufflers will vibrate them a hole in them, but this is alluminum like any other bike,

btw its a Yz450f, thanks

too lazy ha ha, + i dont mind loud, i just opened the muffler the packing may as well of been gone any how,

Your bike runs better with the muffler correctly packed, plus you wont sound like an annoying a-hole!

dude..420 is over...lay off the pot! i cant under stand you!!!!

and running with no packing in your muffler is bad for your bike. also, its anoying as **** and hopfully will get you roosted really well.:thumbsup:

You must re-pack your muffler... That is where you get your back pressure, without it your motor will suffer and eventually grenade.

Without silencer packing youre gonna lose back pressure and gain loudness.. But it's your bike , your choice

i highly doubt the engine would suffer, these are not 2 strokes, dont forget that the valves close, intake valves open, sucks air in, then does its thing, exhaust valves open, and then it shoots the exhaust out, in a 2 stroke, as the exhaust is moving, it helps to suck in the air for the next rpm, so with a 4 stroke to take out the packing or "less" back pressure, really does not effect anything,

if i am wrong on that, then prove me that,

also packing increasing back pressure, dont think so, the air can Freely flow straight through that tube with holes in it, the packing just absorbs noise from the exhaust,

and it being louder, here in bc im in a smaller town, lots of tree's around, i drive out of town, and out and away from others, bikes donth ave to be registered or such here... yet...

and on the pot remark, i do not do drugs, huge waste of money, i'd rather buy 10$ worth of gas then 10$ worth of pot

backpressure does affect a 4-stroke.. BUT does the packing affect the backpressure?? probably not..

Does it make more noise without it? yes.. Are you an A-hole for wanting your bike louder.. kinda.

Yeah your right just take it off..the header pipe too, it's just extra weight..It's gonna sound mint and run forever.

i highly doubt the engine would suffer, these are not 2 strokes, dont forget that the valves close, intake valves open, sucks air in, then does its thing, exhaust valves open, and then it shoots the exhaust out, in a 2 stroke, as the exhaust is moving, it helps to suck in the air for the next rpm, so with a 4 stroke to take out the packing or "less" back pressure, really does not effect anything,

if i am wrong on that, then prove me that,

also packing increasing back pressure, dont think so, the air can Freely flow straight through that tube with holes in it, the packing just absorbs noise from the exhaust,

and it being louder, here in bc im in a smaller town, lots of tree's around, i drive out of town, and out and away from others, bikes donth ave to be registered or such here... yet...

and on the pot remark, i do not do drugs, huge waste of money, i'd rather buy 10$ worth of gas then 10$ worth of pot

The defense rests...

lol, i know that taking off the muffler portion of a bike on a wr250 makes it LOUD, i mean unbearably loud, taking a header pipe off, ohhhhh ohhh ohhh, your gonna be deaf,

and i know back pressure affects a 4 stroke, and by that, if you actually have back pressure then it makes it run not as good because now the engines working more,

took my friends catalytic converter out of his car since the one side rusted its way off, we straight piped it, and his car, sure louder, actually runs alot better....., you can call a exhaust shop and ask them, they will all tell you it wont hurt the engine, only thing people worry about is O2 and exhaust sensors...

backpressure effects the powerband... No backpressure whatsover means a huge loss in low-end, off idle performance. More backpressure means more snap on low end, with restrictions in high rpms.

Depends what your doing with the bike. To say that eliminating all backpressure is good for the motor is completely inaccurate and infact dumb. The diameter of exhaust, header, and the bends and design of silencer all play a part in exhaust "tuning".. Its why they can charge so much money for a pipe.

Are you SURE you don't smoke pot? I mean if you do, you might just have forgotten, right?

Backpressure affects jetting. Less backpressure= better efficiency= more exhaust flow= need for richer jetting. Which is why exhaust leaks can cause burned exhaust valves, the engine is not jetted for the increased exhaust flow. By the same token, airplane and racing engines run just fine with a 5" stub of exhaust pipe straight off the cylinder head- they are jetted for zero backpressure.

By removing your exhaust packing, you are decreasing backpressure/ increasing efficiency and requiring jetting adjustments. You will gain some high-rpm performance and lose some at lower rpms.

I'll save the lecture on how noisy bikes shut down riding areas.

Leave the poor guy alone he does not need packing if he don't want it. Not a way a responsible person would do it IMO. Also he's from Canada so technically he's not being an A-hole it would be an Eh-hole.:thumbsup::banana::thumbsup:

• Like 1

lol @ a whole thread about backpressure. i hear that if you switch to a green powerband at the same time you will double your thrust output too.

:thumbsup:

dude...your so wrong you might as well be right.

the only motors on this planet that like to run with no back presure are deisles. that being said, there are even diesles that like back presure actully....but minimal none the less.

no packing will rod your bike of power.

dont be a cheap f^&% and spend the 22 bucks to get a bag of packing.or even use house hold insulation if your really cheap.you can buy a bag that will last you for most of your life for 22 bucks right now in home depot.

if you would ride at our track on the island, i would have 0 issue kicking you out because of exessive noise from your bike.

a cat. converter is WAAYYYY diffrent then a tuned sillencer for a dirtbike. you cant even compair the two, and seeing as you did. it is deffinitly making me question how smart you are around cars/bikes.