2000 CR250 poor handling

So I been ripping it up on my 250 and she has been beating me up at my local riding area, its like a .6 mile track with whoops some doubles and nice turns. Now I can barely hang on after 4 laps. So Long story short I got on my buddies 04 CRF250 and was ripping it up with much faster lap times and could run more laps with less effort. It seems the CR250 doesnt like to turn and requires alot more effort, Any solutions to help it handle better?

well a 2 stroke 250 is going to wear you out ALOT faster than a 4 stroke 250. his bike is a newer generation frame, so theoretically it should handle a little better, but your bike should handle pretty good. i have a 2000 cr250 and a 2005 crf250. i dont really notice a handling difference. the crf is just easier to ride bc its got that nice cushy 4 stroke power. check your steering stem bearings. my cr was handling like crap and it ended up being my steering stem bearings. popped in some new ones and it was like night and day. also adjust your suspension to your weight. a worn rear tire can affect handling, as can bearings/bushings in the swingarm, as well as a ton of other factors. so, solutions to help your bike handle better; go over it really thoroughly and check for play in the swingarm, forks, whatever. these bikes dont get the credit they deserve. i ride my 11 year old bike very competitively against brand new bikes. good luck!

I have the same bike, so I know your pain. I went ahead and got the suspension set up for me. It's like a new bike! Anyway...the frame we have is very rigid and does not handle like the new frames. I would love to put the 2000 CR 250 engine in a newer frame, but too much money and time to spend.

11 year old bike. when is the last time you did the suspension?? Time to do it

X2. What he said

So I been ripping it up on my 250 and she has been beating me up at my local riding area, its like a .6 mile track with whoops some doubles and nice turns. Now I can barely hang on after 4 laps. So Long story short I got on my buddies 04 CRF250 and was ripping it up with much faster lap times and could run more laps with less effort. It seems the CR250 doesnt like to turn and requires alot more effort, Any solutions to help it handle better?

What's your rear sag set at?

well the bike has 5hrs on it since I put all new bearings from steering stem to linkage, swingarm, ect. New tires as well, also suspension was resprung to my weight, and rebuilt. I know i need to set the sag just dont know what to set it @. Didnt think sag would make a big difference on the front end

well the bike has 5hrs on it since I put all new bearings from steering stem to linkage, swingarm, ect. New tires as well, also suspension was resprung to my weight, and rebuilt. I know i need to set the sag just dont know what to set it @. Didnt think sag would make a big difference on the front end

Sag is the most important setting and it's the first thing you do when tuning suspension. It completely affects the bikes ability to corner. Start at 4" of sag.

10-4 will do that and see what happens

I would make sure your steering bearings aren't too tight. DO you know how to check whether steering bearings are tightened just right? W/ bike on stand, the steering should just move slowly from centered to one side on its own weight.

I set my sag, and dropped my front a couple mm and wow what a difference it handles like a dream suspension is just a tick on the stiff side maybe i shall play with the clickers

I set my sag, and dropped my front a couple mm and wow what a difference it handles like a dream suspension is just a tick on the stiff side maybe i shall play with the clickers

Please put a search on TT as there is a ton of stuff on this waiting to be shared with you. Here's some old notes of mine from a couple of years ago:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594248

Also know that as an option from the factory 20" front wheels were available for the 01' cr 250. I run one and it is smoother and bites well in turns. it is smoother and brakes better too. Also people put 20mm offset triple clamps. I got a set cheap($150?...?) that was from a crf450 2002 white bros closeout on ebay. You can avoid the higher expense and raise your forks in your triple clamps a little(you did already) and buy a 90/100-21 front tire. I like the 20" front tire especially for trails. It is smoother like the 18" makes the back end smoother. It will cost a bit of moneyand effort to change and your choices of tires are limited. For me the benefit is worth it. These are some repeat statements by me as this subject has come up multiple times. I have been lucky that others have shared some great info that I have been lucky enough to gain by. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The 20mm offset triple clamp works great. My bike turns well...quicker... My bike handles very well and I love it. It's pretty maxed out. There isn't much more to do to my bike for what kind of riding I do.... maybe some big radiators...

Thank you for that great input!!! I will look into all of that.

Please put a search on TT as there is a ton of stuff on this waiting to be shared with you. Here's some old notes of mine from a couple of years ago:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594248

Also know that as an option from the factory 20" front wheels were available for the 01' cr 250. I run one and it is smoother and bites well in turns. it is smoother and brakes better too. Also people put 20mm offset triple clamps. I got a set cheap($150?...?) that was from a crf450 2002 white bros closeout on ebay. You can avoid the higher expense and raise your forks in your triple clamps a little(you did already) and buy a 90/100-21 front tire. I like the 20" front tire especially for trails. It is smoother like the 18" makes the back end smoother. It will cost a bit of moneyand effort to change and your choices of tires are limited. For me the benefit is worth it. These are some repeat statements by me as this subject has come up multiple times. I have been lucky that others have shared some great info that I have been lucky enough to gain by. :thumbsup::worthy:

The 20mm offset triple clamp works great. My bike turns well...quicker... My bike handles very well and I love it. It's pretty maxed out. There isn't much more to do to my bike for what kind of riding I do.... maybe some big radiators...

Great, thanks from me also.:confused: