XT250 - First 24/120

Just bought a new 09 XT250 4-22-11. I am new here and I thought maybe I could add my thoughts to the pool of others. My impression as of 24 hours and 120 miles.

Random003.jpg

I put 65 miles on it the first day. It was a cool misty rainy day. I did pavement and dirt roads. The bike performed great.

The next day I added another 60 to the odi of which 40 was pretty hard dirt riding on old logging roads and single track and home made single track. MUCH harder than any of the video footage that I have seen. It invovled everything from long, tight mules face steep trails riddled with baseball, softball and football sized/shaped loose rocks and quite deep ruts from rain washing down the mountain to creek crossing, log crossing and jumping(the trail kind.)

This is a quite capable off road bike right off the lot.

My 2 browns worth:

Tire wobble that I heard about:

Some. Not terrible. I would call it slight. The tires have performed well so far. They have seen over a hundred miles on the street wet and dry(bike is now at 190:)) and I cannot find any real issue. A little "bumpy" at lower speed on the pavement but they are somewhat aggressive so that is part of it. In the dirt they are pretty decent. Did EVERYTHING that I asked. Traction was not bad and slung lots of gravel. They could be better on pavement and also dirt but they are a dual tire and they will do neither perfect but do both pretty well. I am sure that there is better to be had but the stockers are not as bad as the posts I read made them out to be. Atleast, not for me. The mechanic at the dealer owns the same bike(part of my decision to get one) says the are not the best on wet pavement so I drive accordingly.

Power: If you are looking to ride wheelies or the sudden impact of a 2 stroke powerband kickin' in then you should not consider this bike. It has good power, just different power. It gets up to speed on the road in good order and will cruise at 60 mph. The mechanic told me that the sweet spot on the street is 45-55 mph and he is right. I haven't had it on the interstate, yet. But, I have had no problem on the 5 lane with traffic running 60 or so mph. On the dirt it has plenty of power more importantly it has great roll-on power - perfect for off road. Trust me :thumbsup:

Handling: Like a champ. It is low and light. One can easily man handle the bike off road and hang curves kickin' it on the pavement. The bike is very forgiving - especially on dirt. Quite handy on free rolling rocks.

Suspension: It is not as bad as many claim, but it could be better. I have not had any bottoming out issues or anything but it is a little rough. Not terrible, just a little rough.

Other: I had heard that it was a cold natured machine and that is the question that I aske the mechanic at the dealer that owns one. His response: Yes it is, somewhat. But it will always start. He said that you want it as cold natured as you can stand it if you care about fuel economy. He said the colder natured the leaner that it is running equalling the good fuel economy. It is late Spring and I have had no cold issues. Choke it, fire it, let run a minute, click down choke and take off.

I have about 20 years experience on bikes, mostly dirt. It has been 16 years or so since I have really ridden. After 2 days it like I never got off one. So far I am very pleased with the bike. I am most pleased with how it does off road. I was riding with ATV's Griz 660 and Honda Fourman and I went everywhere they went only faster and harder:) I got the bike for fuel mileage, and to go trout fishing in the places that I am no longer willing to hike into and I think this bike is going to fit the bill perfectly. I just am really amazed that I can ride as hard as we did yesterday and drive it to work tomorrow.

I was a little reluctant to buy this bike versus another model because of some of what I read from others. I tested the bike at the dealer and was still leary that it might not do everything that I may want to do with it. I went back and tested it again, and there you have it. I would reccomend this bike to anyone that was looking for what I was and I think that one would be pleasently surprized at how much more capable the bike is. No wonder this model has been around so long. It is not perfect - neither are any of the others in this class. If/when I want with huge air and front wheel in the air most of the time I will not kill myself trying to make this bike something that it is not. I will get the appropriate bike for that. I do wish that it had a little more snap/pop to get the front wheel up for obstacles and launch for jumps, but does fine. As for the 5 speed tranny.... the bike is geared great and have not found a need for a 6th gear. 2nd and 3rd are sweet off road.

It cleans up nice to boot!

Family-Brynn-Flea-Spring2011016.jpg

I am going to make video of our riding off road to better let people know just how capable this bike is. I hope to have that available in the next week or so.

Thanks for looking!

YFIS

Zeb

Edited by hellifIknow
Mistake

Zeb,

Thanks for the invaluable info you posted about your 2009 XT250!

I just bought my 2009 XT250 a couple of weeks ago. :thumbsup: Took it out on some moderate dirt trails this past Monday and it did great. :thumbsup: Very predictable. I had some issues with starting, as well, but just allowed it to warm up a bit. It did awesome.

I really don't plan on using it on the freeway, just 50mph paved county roads.

Happy riding and thanks again for your review. Looking forward to the video!

Angela

You're gonna love it for what you want it for. It will be perfect. I have about 320 miles on it now. The only quam that I have at the moment is that I am not getting the mileage that I had hoped for. I made a post about it earlier. I read in some of the other posts that 80 mpg was sort of the norm. I am ony getting 65 on the fist tank and the second was 60. I will see what next tank is in the next day or so. It is still good, but 80 is better :thumbsup:

I am now contiplating accessories. I like the rack this rack http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=69_94&products_id=707

and I would also like to add some handguards.

Zeb

Yes, I think it will be perfect for me. Can't wait to go again!:thumbsup:

Let me know what you discover on gas mileage. I plan on cruising around a little more soon. Just haven't had the time.

I've also been contemplating buying that rack you found at Turbo City . I like that there's probably no drilling required. I recently bought and attached the skid plate and guards from Turbo City. Turned out sharp, but it was a lot of work. Let me know what hand guards you find....I've also been looking.

Angela

You're gonna love it for what you want it for. It will be perfect. I have about 320 miles on it now. The only quam that I have at the moment is that I am not getting the mileage that I had hoped for. I made a post about it earlier. I read in some of the other posts that 80 mpg was sort of the norm. I am ony getting 65 on the fist tank and the second was 60. I will see what next tank is in the next day or so. It is still good, but 80 is better :thumbsup:

I am now contiplating accessories. I like the rack this rack http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=69_94&products_id=707

and I would also like to add some handguards.

Zeb

Thanks for your write up!

Just want to say that I purchased the rack you mentioned (I got it from Turbo City on eBay - they included a nice bag for slightly more $). It was a super easy install, and looks and works great.

Cool! I like the "package" on Ebay. Thanks for the heads up on that. I am also looking for a skid plate. I like the Turbocity plate but it is high in price and seems a bit overdone. Not that the overdone part is a bad thing. I am considering the one that Ricochet offers for about 90 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Skid-Plate-Bash-Guard-Frame-Glide-Yamaha-XT-250-2008-11-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f0999ca4bQQitemZ270744013387QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories