Sign in to follow this  

Just got a new used ktm now what?

Wanted to see if there are any things I should do to my new used 03 ktm 525 exc. It is amazing I went from an 07 Drz 400 haha not even on same level. The suspension is set up but what about cooling fan or anything that I should add that it doesn't have? Metal oil filters? Cooling fan? Different air filter...any help would be great!

Congrats on the bike! :thumbsup:

Hopefully the previous owner sorted any issues out already.

Cooling fan would be up to you. They usually overheat from factory lean jetting/tall gearing and slow speed single track without much air moving.

Add handgaurds and skid plate if you dont have them already. Also, a shop manual if you dont have one. I think there are a few links around here for free PDF ones. :thumbsup:

Depends on your type of riding and/or the type of maintenance you want to do... The coolant fan is just protection if you ride tight/slow trails or ride on the street and get stopped at lights in hot weather.

Everything else is subjective.

I got a Scotts SS oil filter for my brand new 450XCW. No more paper filters to throw away/buy.

I use notoil oil/oxy clean to clean. and twinair filters. I've used the notoil red oil for a while with twinair filters w/o issue. But I ordered some of the new "green" notoil that doesn't have alcohol in it. Takes longer to "set" but supposed to be friendlier on filters.

For my new bike, I put bark busters, a coolant fan (and upgraded stator), I transfered over my scotts damper (bought a mount for the ktm) a couple spare air filters (mainly for trips) and the JD Jetkit.

I always adjust the valves and change to oil on a new used bike. Reguardless of what the seller says has been done. I ride tight trails and added:

Hand guards

13/50 sprockets

fan

radiator guards

larger gas tank

gripper seat cover

trials tire

thanks for the great feedback, most of that has been taking care of he did give me new JD jet kit which not sure if I am going to do since it has stock exhaust on it, does that make a difference? I ride mostly desert here in Vegas. I also think I will go with metal filters as well....thanks guys!

Congrats on the 'new' bike. Since you are now a KTM owner you should also join www.ktmtalk.com if you haven't already done so.

thanks for the great feedback, most of that has been taking care of he did give me new JD jet kit which not sure if I am going to do since it has stock exhaust on it, does that make a difference? I ride mostly desert here in Vegas. I also think I will go with metal filters as well....thanks guys!

Every bike benefits from stock jetting changes even with no mods. Only exception are some EFI models. If the bike was road legal then it is a must.

For sure change the jetting and do the o-ring mod and put on a 1.8 bar rad. cap, normal protection and you're good to go.

Every bike benefits from stock jetting changes even with no mods. Only exception are some EFI models. If the bike was road legal then it is a must.

My exc 400 was used on the street by the guy I bought it from. What Jets should I be going to? I think the gearing is a little high as well, it seems like it should pull better off the bottom than it does currently.

My exc 400 was used on the street by the guy I bought it from. What Jets should I be going to? I think the gearing is a little high as well, it seems like it should pull better off the bottom than it does currently.

What is the current jetting and gearing?

www.jdjetting.com would be a good place to start. 13/52 gearing would work well for trails only riding.

where is best deal to get orange chain and rear sprocket for my ktm?

Was wondering what is the best gearing selection for my bike over stock gearing?

Long list of info on these here and the other site.

Every part can be improved or modded or just maintained.

What do you want?

I would sure make sure on the mechanical condition and state of tune versus pretty parts.

Run a compression/leak down test first. Just to see what you bought.

Use the 1/6 turn method on the valves before a test. The adjusters feet will be worn and a feeler gauge will be inaccurate.

No ss filters. Too coarse. Buy cheap hiflows or k & n's filters on the Internet.

Shell rotella t6 is cheap and good.

No notoil. Ultra fine dust seems to go through them. Sticky thick belray or twin air filter oil.

Stator will probably ohm out low. Loses some spark in starting and at high revs because of it.

I have built a lot of these and this is what I have seen personally.

Bob

what is the best gearing for desert riding on that bike do you think?

what is the best gearing for desert riding on that bike do you think?

I've always run the stock 14/48 gearing on all my big bore KTM's. With the Revloc auto clutch, the gearing is low enough for the tightest terrain and high enough for smooth 'cruising' at high speeds with the wide ratio EXC 6 speed tranny.

Want more wide open for the desert so if you think that is best I will give it a try....