Sign in to follow this  

XR250R headlight Dimming on idle

confused::confused:Ok guys, I am back! As you all may remember. Bought a 1986 XR250R that was beat to hell. I rebuilt the entire bike from the ground up. I probably put more money in the pig than it is worth. But, it is priceless to me! I will post some pictures soon.

So, I decided to dual sport the bike out. I bought all new lighting kits Tusk wiring harness with small 12v battery. New high output Ricky Stator and reg/ref. I was able to get everything working together…. But the headlight is dimming big time on idle. I really can’t understand why the hell it is doing it. I was actually shocked that I got everything working as I suck with electrical stuff. So, as always I need my TT buddies to run some ideas by me to see if there is something that I missed. And, I’m sure I missed something.

I left the stock wiring harness in place. I added the full tusk wiring harness. Ran the head light wire from stator to off/lo/hi switch, so lights work off switch. Bike still turns off using original kill switch. Tusk also came with on/off to turn off blinkers and such. Hmmmm Blinkers and rear brake light are LED.

:thumbsup::confused::

What wattage is your headlight?

The Tusk battery certainly is small(1000mAh).

You also need to consider the new stators output curve, or, the RPM range where it makes its power. Some stators put out very little current at idle, so that means the battery would be trying to handle the load with less current coming in from the stator than what's going out from the headlight draw.

You wired the headlight to take it's power from the battery, right?

thats fairly common.

they generally will be a bit dimmer at idle.

aslong as it brightens up just above idle, id say its good.

If the headlight is getting power through the battery then your battery is to small. The stator just doesn't put out enough power at idle, I have the same problem with mine. I am going to go get a sealed lead acid that fits in my air box that has enough power so it won't dim at idle.

Took it for a spin today and it seems to be working ok. I will know more in a little while. I am heading out on a night ride soon. Then I will see if I have a real issue. I spent the day checking all the wires and soder points. I added some soder to one point. Maybe that was the problem. I will go into more detail tomorrow.

I have the light directly hooked up the the blue stator wire. and added a high/ low/ off switch provied by Tusk. The Reg/ Ref is hooked up to the rest of the staror and then to the battery. the entire system seems to be working all together. But, dim on idle.

Honda likes to use AC for lights on XRs and XLs, and dimming at idle is normal. If you are running the lights on DC then dimming at idle indicates inadequate battery capacity, because of battery size or battery condition.

I have the light directly hooked up the the blue stator wire. and added a high/ low/ off switch provied by Tusk. The Reg/ Ref is hooked up to the rest of the staror and then to the battery. the entire system seems to be working all together. But, dim on idle.

So you're still running the headlight on AC, directly off the stator. That's why it's dimming at idle.

I guess that even with the 150 w stator and Ref/ Reg there will still be dimming issues

The output of the stator either needs to run the lights on AC, or it needs to run into the R/R and all the lights run DC from the battery. You cant do both.

• Like 1