Know any exercises to strengthen grip?

Do your guys hands get really sore after riding for awhile, to the point of not being able to open them? Does anyone know any exercises or riding techniques I could to try and gain some strength and endurance in my hands?

Thanks

Do your guys hands get really sore after riding for awhile, to the point of not being able to open them? Does anyone know any exercises or riding techniques I could to try and gain some strength and endurance in my hands?

Thanks

Is it cramps? Are your cramping other places (legs, back etc) at the time you are having hand issues? If not you probably just need to ease up on gripping the bars so tight.

However, for a hand/forearm exercise make a wrist roller:

Get a piece of closet rod (stuff you hang clothes hangers on), make it as long as your bars are wide. Drill a hole big enough for 1/8 inch rope to go through in the center of the rod. Cut about 3 feet of 1/8 inch rope and put knots in one end so it can't go through the hole in the bar. Feed the un-knotted end through the bar and tie on a small weight, like one of those 5,8 or 10 lbs weights your wife bought but is never going to use :thumbsup:

To do the exercise you grip the bar at the ends and hold the bar out in front of you so your arms are parallel to the floor, weight is off the ground. In a steady and controlled manner roll the rod _towards_ you until the weight gets to the bar. Then again in a controlled manner let it back down, then continue rolling the bar away from you to bring it back up and then let it back down again. That is one set: up rolling the bar towards you, then down, the up rolling the bar away from you and back down. Controlling the speed up and down is the key. Do something like 3 sets of 10 reps every other day for 3 days a week and you will have Popeye forearms and associated grip strength in no time :thumbsup:

Is it cramps? Are your cramping other places (legs, back etc) at the time you are having hand issues? If not you probably just need to ease up on gripping the bars so tight.

Get a piece of closet rod (stuff you hang clothes hangers on), make it as long as your bars are wide. Drill a hole big enough for 1/8 inch rope to go through in the center of the rod. Cut about 3 feet of 1/8 inch rope and put knots in one end so it can't go through the hole in the bar. Feed the un-knotted end through the bar and tie on a small weight, like one of those 5,8 or 10 lbs weights your wife bought but is never going to use :thumbsup:

To do the exercise you grip the bar at the ends and hold the bar out in front of you so your arms are parallel to the floor, weight is off the ground. In a steady and controlled manner roll the rod _towards_ you until the weight gets to the bar. Then again in a controlled manner let it back down, then continue rolling the bar away from you to bring it back up and then let it back down again. That is one set: up rolling the bar towards you, then down, the up rolling the bar away from you and back down. Controlling the speed up and down is the key. Do something like 3 sets of 10 reps every other day for 3 days a week and you will have Popeye forearms and associated grip strength in no time :thumbsup:

+1 on that you would be suprised how tired you get the first time with a small weight. the power ball will also make that forearm burn like crazy.

you preserve what strength you have by riding with a relaxed grip as much as possible. but yeah for sure train your grip strength as much as you can so you have monster grip when you need it!

in addition to the rolley thing, you can get those hand squeezer things(in varying difficulty) and just squeeze away like when you're driving or doing the computer. You can try doing pushups(probably start with the girly kind on the knees, I won't tell) on your fingertips. Something that will really help is doing the deadlift--you'll be able to lift what your hands can hold onto, and you'll get bennies in the rest of your body too.

It's especially important to do both concentric(contracting) and isometric(holding) muscle actions in building grip strength for the bike. And remember grip strength involves everything from the forearm to the hands, so look for moves that include all that(like the rolley thing) Hammer curls will also hit the forearms.

Another thing is google sledgehammer workout. Try holding a sledgehammer/maul by the very end in one hand, arm outstretched and balancing it upright for as long as you can.

Or you can get an early morning job as a handmilker:D ha!

Or you can get an early morning job as a handmilker:D ha!

I spent a summer in highschool milking goats by hand... it will give you killer grip strength and ripped forearms! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to give some of these a shot. It just gets annoying cause the rest of my body wants to keep riding but my hands are just done. Maybe some of these exercises will help.

Use this powerball gyro thing before you go ride. I use it on the way to the track. It will get the blood flowing in your arms. It will help a lot. Use it for 20 minutes solid, (if you can). You'll start to feel it all the way up your arms into your shoulder and even your back muscles will feel it if you can go long enough.

This thing will blow your mind! No BS. The model without the grip is even better for helping grip strength and "clutch" muscles in your fingers. (You 2-smoke guys know what I'm talking about, lol) Works waay better than the spring-grip things. Awesome "couch" workout too when you're sitting at home!

Check it out:

http://www.dynaflexpro.com

http://www.dynaflexpro.com/grip.php

http://www.dynaflexpro.com/store.php

450_large_image.jpg411_image.jpg

^Haha

another thing you can do is when you do things like upright rows, bent over rows, use a weight plate and a pinch grip. You can either use two hands on the plate, or one hand(harder). And it's harder too if the plate has smooth sides and no lip.

If you use a 4.5" grinder for 10 hours a day grinding Q-deck, it'll make your grip quite a bit better, forearms too :thumbsup:

Was doing that for about a month 6 days a week and I have noticed a huge improvement with my arm's abilities on the bike. Not getting tired so quick, I can ride hard and fast and the only thing slowing me down is my stamina. I get tired, but my arms and legs don't cramp up or go numb, which was a huge problem before.

Gotta love physically labor intensive jobs when it comes to riding!

re-grip. A lot of the time you hands cramp up because you have a harsh grip. when you ride practice relaxing your fingers on sections that you are able to. If you train yourself to adjust your grip according to the situation your hands will last a lot longer and you will begin to do it without thinking about it.

I know when i am coming down downhills i will have my fingers outstretched. Just long enough to get the blood flow.

Does anyone know any exercises or riding techniques I could to try and gain some strength and endurance in my hands?

SURE...eh, it's just too easy.

JayC

To do the exercise you grip the bar at the ends and hold the bar out in front of you so your arms are parallel to the floor, weight is off the ground. In a steady and controlled manner roll the rod _towards_ you until the weight gets to the bar. Then again in a controlled manner let it back down, then continue rolling the bar away from you to bring it back up and then let it back down again. That is one set: up rolling the bar towards you, then down, the up rolling the bar away from you and back down. Controlling the speed up and down is the key. Do something like 3 sets of 10 reps every other day for 3 days a week and you will have Popeye forearms and associated grip strength in no time :confused:

+1 on that

Use this powerball gyro thing before you go ride. I use it on the way to the track. It will get the blood flowing in your arms. It will help a lot. Use it for 20 minutes solid, (if you can). You'll start to feel it all the way up your arms into your shoulder and even your back muscles will feel it if you can go long enough.

This thing will blow your mind! No BS. The model without the grip is even better for helping grip strength and "clutch" muscles in your fingers. (You 2-smoke guys know what I'm talking about, lol) Works waay better than the spring-grip things. Awesome "couch" workout too when you're sitting at home!

Check it out:

http://www.dynaflexpro.com

http://www.dynaflexpro.com/grip.php

http://www.dynaflexpro.com/store.php

450_large_image.jpg411_image.jpg

+1

I did for about 30 minutes yesterday watching Supercross videos, I can really feel it today!