Make Your Own Crank Puller/Installer?

Before I buy one, I wanted to see if anyone has made their own. It looks pretty simple and I don't see why I couldn't make it myself.

Below is the link to what I am referring to.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do;jsessionid=F1CFBD3F4292D7FFD62F4A081E726781?webCatId=22&webTypeId=140&navTitle=Tools/Shop&navType=type&prodFamilyId=17166&stockId=143200

I used a BMX peg, some heavy duty washers, and a bolt the same thread as the primary gear bolt, but longer. Any piece of steel tubing the proper diameter and cut to length should work, the peg I had just happened to seat perfectly on the main bearing's inner race.

For a splitter I use a Sears harmonic balancer puller and some all-thread and nuts the proper size to wind into the stator mount holes.

Some people have been successful making an installer out of random metal tubes of the correct diameter cut to length, a washer and bolt.

I will be interested to see if there are any better replies as I am 1/2 was through a crank install myself. The first 1/2 just dropped in using the freeze / heat method and I'm praying the other 1/2 does as well. Right now 1/2 of my engine is sitting in the freezer waiting until I can find the correct sealant.

• Like 1

I used a BMX peg, some heavy duty washers, and a bolt the same thread as the primary gear bolt, but longer. Any piece of steel tubing the proper diameter and cut to length should work, the peg I had just happened to seat perfectly on the main bearing's inner race.

For a splitter I use a Sears harmonic balancer puller and some all-thread and nuts the proper size to wind into the stator mount holes.

Great ideas!

Thanks

• 1 month later...
It is a bit steep to spend 60 bucks on the puller and 60 on the case splitter, but I have all the Tusk bottom end tools and they all work GREAT except the clutch/flywheel holder...doesn't work well for some bikes.

I used the harbor freight bolt puller to split the cases and it worked well. I used the freeze / heat method to install the crank and put the cases together. It worked OK and I got the job done but if I were to do this job again I would DEFINITELY invest in the Tusk crank puller. At $60 its not cheap but much cheaper than a replacement case side because you buggered the job.

Ok me being the cheap 16 year old that I am, there is absolutley no way that I am buying some super expensive tool to work on bikes, so I went to the 1 1/4 pipe bucket and found some fittings and made myself a universal crank installer.

019.jpg

I Just slip the cap with hole drilled in it over the crank, install the flywheel/primary drive bolt/nut, assemble tool, slip pipe over, use big washers, hold end of threaded rod with vise grips and get the 11/16 wrench and pull the crank in

020.jpg

021.jpg

And we had this c clamp vise grip that had been driven over and didnt lock very well, so I got the idea.....

Dad! Dad! Can I turn this vise grip into a useful tool for working on bikes?

So here it is: Home made clutch basket holder tool.

022-1.jpg

Which just like genuine Tusk, doubles as flywheel holder ?

023-1.jpg

So there are some pics of home made tools :ride:

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

i just did my cases and crank, some homemade tools sure did the trick, the Rocky mountain vide sure did a ton on info, i just had a haynes manual, it pretty much sucks because their isnt much on the gearbox, the oem yammy manual is much better

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post, but...  89firebin I plan to copy your "tooling" as I am in the middle of a crank replacement, and I too am to damn cheap to pay $$ for tools...  I will make a trip to the big box store and put something together or just a few dollars.  

thanks for the post

• Like 1