XR400 dies when turning the wheel left

OK... After 5 years of riding a quad, I just bought my first dirtbike (2002 XR400R). Thanks to TT, I know how to start this thing. Starts on 2nd kick just fine when warm, cold takes a few more but not that bad....

On to my issue, I can start the bike fine when the wheel is straight or turned right. BUT if the wheel is turned left, it's a no-go. Once started, if I turn the wheel to the left, the bike will immediately die. Almost as if I hit the kill switch. I know I'm not hitting it so I loosened it from the bar thinking maybe the wires were being pulled triggering the kill switch. I've looked for shorts in the wires also and can't seem to find anything wrong.

This is driving me nuts... I'd much appreciate it if someone could give me some insight...

Thanks in advance...

Art

Check your Decompression lever & make sure the cable isnt pulling tight at full lock. Turn the Bars lock to lock & watch the Valve Lifter Arm that is connected to the Decomp Cable ( Right side of the Head Cover) to make sure it doesn't move. If it isnt adjusted correctly it will open the Valve slightly when you turn full lock causing it to stall.

I used to get this happen after installing higher Bars & Triple Clamp.

Creedy.

• Angry 1

Check your Decompression lever & make sure the cable isnt pulling tight at full lock. Turn the Bars lock to lock & watch the Valve Lifter Arm that is connected to the Decomp Cable ( Right side of the Head Cover) to make sure it doesn't move. If it isnt adjusted correctly it will open the Valve slightly when you turn full lock causing it to stall.

I used to get this happen after installing higher Bars & Triple Clamp.

Creedy.

+1 ?

Sounds like decomp lever to me as well.

• Angry 1

You guys were right on... I turned the wheel lock to lock and sure enough when locked left the Valve Lifter Arm was being pulled... I adjusted it and she's good to go now....

Many thanks fellas.... Much appreciated... ?

Happy trails....

Art