Sign in to follow this  

timing chain stretched

hey,my timing chain on a crf450 05 is stretched and rattling,I have purchased a new one.But I was wondering if it was possible to remove a link from the old chain put it back in,would it then be tight again and what effect would it have on the timing and sprocket???

Nope, but if you try it let me know how it worked out! just messing with you, put in a new one and ride on.

hey,my timing chain on a crf450 05 is stretched and rattling,I have purchased a new one.But I was wondering if it was possible to remove a link from the old chain put it back in,would it then be tight again and what effect would it have on the timing and sprocket???

It's a continuous chain (no master link). So, no, you can't remove a link from it.

I have replaced the tensioner but will have a real good sus at the guides when I pull her down,thanks.

i just did my first chain after 200+ hours on a 06.it was so loose i could almost put the cam gear on with out turning the tensioner at all,with the new chain on i have to remove the tensioner and it barely went on.

guess the old one was just a tad stretched.