Sign in to follow this  

Hard front end wobble on faster bampy straights

Hi everyone,

I am trying to set suspension of my Honda CR 125 2002. I have replaced springs with 0.39 in front and 4.4 in rear (145lbs without gear), set sag at 100mm. Compression/rebound clickers set at factory settings. The problem is that on bumpy straights or going uphill on a bumpy track front wobbles so much that I can barely hold on. I am trying to transfer body weight to the rear, squeeze the bike between legs and it still throws the steering bar left and right.

The steering head bearings are slightly worn but I don't think that it would cause such a hard headshake. Also, I don't want to change the fork height in the tripples as that would ruin turning.

I took my friends' old yz 125 and it was very stable on the same straight. Then again tested another CR 125 2004 and it was stable enough as well.

What are the main reasons for the front end headshake?

Edited by Domantas

if the valving is STD it may just be too stiff for you, that will promote headshake, also worn steering bearings are a no no, you need good bearings and to tighten them so the bars don't flop side to side

if the valving is STD it may just be too stiff for you, that will promote headshake, also worn steering bearings are a no no, you need good bearings and to tighten them so the bars don't flop side to side

:thumbsup:

I have revalved forks myself. Softened the base valva damping, increased the float in midvalve and softened the shim stack as well. It feels softer than with factory valving but still quite stiff. However, when I tried to ride my friends' CR 125 2004 with much stiffer springs and factory valving, it wasan't that much as mine.

I will try to increase rear sag to 105mm (to raise front a bit), torque steering head bearings a bit more and reduce front rebound damping. Does that sound correct?

yes all good plans , try just the lesser rebound and the tighter steering before trying the sag change

yes all good plans , try just the lesser rebound and the tighter steering before trying the sag change

Will start from that :thumbsup: Will post results after testride on weekend.

Increasing float sometimes has detrimental affects such as front riding low . My suspicions are that the steering head bearings first, and with lighter springs without a change in rebound damping shims you may have to run the clicker out a few more clicks on reb .

Increasing float sometimes has detrimental affects such as front riding low . My suspicions are that the steering head bearings first, and with lighter springs without a change in rebound damping shims you may have to run the clicker out a few more clicks on reb .

You are right. I have forgotten that softer springs can't cope with rebound damping so that must be adjusted :thumbsup:

Last weekend I tested the bike after torquing the steering head bearing and reducing rebound damping by 5 clicks. It seems it got better although I tested it on different track. Will do a better test probably this weekend on much bumpier track.

One more question. Does anybody know where I could buy a pair of small springs and two thick shims for a Honda CR 125 KYB 2002 midvalve? I want to make a bigger float and I need a spring which would go above the shim stack just like in the checkplate conversion type.

k tech in the uk sell them.