Impossible Seal?!?!

I have a leaking counter chainwheel seal. I picked up a new seal and followed the Hayne's workshop manual to make sure I done the replacement right. The book says the remove the sprocket, then the collar and o-ring behind it. The next part is what gets me, it says carefully remove the seal being careful not to scratch the bore holding the seal. When I tried to remove the seal it is pretty much glued in place, the outer ring which the seal fits over is just big enough to fit a utility knife in.... Any tips on how to remove this seal before I lose my mind????

I have a leaking counter chainwheel seal. I picked up a new seal and followed the Hayne's workshop manual to make sure I done the replacement right. The book says the remove the sprocket, then the collar and o-ring behind it. The next part is what gets me, it says carefully remove the seal being careful not to scratch the bore holding the seal. When I tried to remove the seal it is pretty much glued in place, the outer ring which the seal fits over is just big enough to fit a utility knife in.... Any tips on how to remove this seal before I lose my mind????

Little bit different application here, but. I have replaced several dynamic lip seals ranging from 3/4" up to 6" split seals on reduction gears and governors. You will probably rack your brain and in the end spray your bike with fuel and light it on fire in frustration.:thumbsup: I have taken, literally the smallest drill bit I could find and drill several holes centered on the middle of the seal. This will allow you to get either a scribe or a pair of needle nose pliers in there. Keep in mind if it is the OEM seal it will probably take a little extra ass to get it out. As long as you keep the sharp objects (razor) away from the O.D. of the sealing surface and the shaft itself, its game on.

On my bike I wouldn't hesitate to use a scribe on the O.D. and crease it a little bit, this may loosen it up a little bit and help in the removal.

Hope that this helps:thumbsup:

the outer ring which the seal fits over is just big enough to fit a utility knife in....

I think your talking about the collar on the countershaft. This pulls off and you should easily be able to get at the seal. I did one a couple of days back and it flicked out easy enough with a small screwdriver. Failing that stick a small self-tapping screw in the seal and pull it out.

I use a modified spring puller and some heat to the case for the stubborn ones.