Sign in to follow this  

02 ktm 200 exc

I have an 02 Ktm 200 exc and I know its a woods bike and all but I like motocross I am 14 so what all can I do to my bike to set it up for moto the best I can without spending any money. Basically just setting and maybe a little money but not too much.

I am not a suspension expert, but I would think modifying up your suspension would be critical. The bike is most likely setup for handling the woods, not landing jumps.

The engine can be changed a bit by changing the gearing (sprockets) but it should be fine.

gearing, jetting and suspension are the things to look at. For MX jetting isnt as critical as for off road. So gearing and the springs and clickers set for your weight and speed would nbe where i would start.

That heavy FWW might be a hinderance also, along with the wide ratio trans, big gas tank (you can get around this by not putting as much gas in, but a 3 gallon tank makes the bike heavier when full), etc etc.

How does the bike handle the jumps at your local MX track? If the bike is running well, suspension setup is where I would focus. Our older bikes are very sensitive (Read: not very good) and need some work. But for pleasure riding (not racing), springs, sag and oil height will do wonders.

Pay attention to what Mike suggests, he has given me very good information in the past. :thumbsup:

edit, also gmoss should be able to offer you some good info too since he knows a lot about the 200's. :thumbsup:

need to go in on the compression damping (adding damping) for the landings, and probably also in a little on the rebound damping as well. A shorty will let it rev quicker and the power come on sooner. V force reeds is a waste of money, IMHO, for what you are doing.

going down a couple teeth from stock on the rear sprocket will help you pick up some freewheel ability for the jumps, 200's are geared very low to start, so this will help with clearing the jumps.

Im gunna tell my mechanic to put on an unweighted fly flyeheel and make my susp. harder and to set the rebound. Im also gunna get a shorty and a I already have put a 2 teeth smaller sproket on.

Im gunna tell my mechanic to put on an unweighted fly flyeheel and make my susp. harder and to set the rebound. Im also gunna get a shorty and a I already have put a 2 teeth smaller sproket on.

If the FW doesn't have a weight bolted on it, then you will have to find a lighter FW. There is no way to "unweight" a FW. IMHO, you won't need to worry about the FW. The 200 revs plenty fast with a PV adjustment, shorty, and proper jetting.

If that is not enough, have the head milled and you will have all the responsiveness you need.

I would be more concerned with the susp at this point.

I meant to say lighter haha. And ya in just gunna get a shorty and tell him to do the susp. anf the carb. Thanks gmoss

I meant to say lighter haha. And ya in just gunna get a shorty and tell him to do the susp. anf the carb. Thanks gmoss

LOL, just want to make sure. :thumbsup: