wheels- need your input

my 2008 yz250 came with warp nine wheels. they have help up over the last 2 years. i have put a few dings in them and i finally destroyed the rear hub last weekend when a bearing let loose. i am in the market for a set of wheels. i am not sure what to get?? i have checked out the dna wheels but am unsure how high quality they are. i also priced prowheels. i know they aRE high quality but they are pricey. what do you guys think? i dont want to buy the cheaper wheel set if they aren't going to hold up. what are you guys running? also -- if you guys haven't checked out the wheel customizer on the prowheel site....you need to

http://www.prowheelracing.com/products/mx/wheelsets

I run a set of the www.radmfg.com wheels on my KX250F....I have been racing with them for two years now.......so far so good.....I am very pleased with them ......

I just put a complete excel rim with the oem spokes and hub on my yz250. Pretty expensive.

But other wheels I was looking at were called DNA. My buddy whose races woods and he is like a A class rider had then on for like four years and now they getting a little dented up.

My DNA's have been great and you can't beat the price.

My DNA's have been really good as well. They are the "extreme" series. I have herd good and bad things about them, personally I havent had any problems with them. Just did front wheel bearings for the first time after 2yrs on them. If you have the coin I would say an Excel/Talon setup is hard to beat... but your talking twice the price plus some. As far as I am concerned I would buy the DNA's again.

thanks for the replys fellas. i am thinking about the dnas pretty hard. prowheels are also twice the price.

I've heard good things about DNA's but haven't experienced them myself. Pro Wheel have a reputation for spokes getting loose and pour rim welding.

Warp9 are OEM quality at least IMO. I've had a set on my YZ for 3 years and except for a dent on the rear rim caused probably by landing on a rock, they still look perfect.

If it were me I'd go with another Warp9 set.

My last GNCC I rode on a flat front for the last 33 miles and my DNA's are still true...the powder coat on the edge of the rim suffered though.

DNA, Warp9 and ProWheel are all junk. You're better off buying a used set of OEM wheels on fleabay. Those other wheels are all very heavy, and the rims are very suspect. I saw someplace last week that was selling OEM Wheels at about the same price as those cheap brands. Sure, they don't have the bling, but they are high quality and pretty light.

Other than OEM, I would go with Excel or DID rims, Talon or TCR hubs and Bulldog or Buchanon Spokes and live happily ever after.

DNA, Warp9 and ProWheel are all junk. You're better off buying a used set of OEM wheels on fleabay. Those other wheels are all very heavy, and the rims are very suspect. I saw someplace last week that was selling OEM Wheels at about the same price as those cheap brands. Sure, they don't have the bling, but they are high quality and pretty light.

Other than OEM, I would go with Excel or DID rims, Talon or TCR hubs and Bulldog or Buchanon Spokes and live happily ever after.

Yep, they are heavier...but the rims being suspect? I know of quite a few local A and AA riders on them and they haven't had any issues. I have 2 cracked Excel rims in my garage now, my DNA/s are still together...does that mean Excels are junk?

That being said, If you can get new OEM wheels for $500 a set...DO IT!!!

How many different wheels have you tried? Talon/excel "ultralight" wheels are actually 2lbs heavier than stock. Stock excel rims are the 6000 series aluminum and are pretty soft. Aftermarket Excel rims (7000 series aluminum) are the best option, but there are others that are not bad. I've had very good luck with prowheels. I ran a 30 minute moto after getting a flat tire on the first lap on a prowheel and it held up great other than some scratches. To be honest, I have bent more 7000 series excel rims than I have prowheel rims, and I have a few seasons on the 4 sets of prowheels that I have.

Yep, they are heavier...but the rims being suspect? I know of quite a few local A and AA riders on them and they haven't had any issues. I have 2 cracked Excel rims in my garage now, my DNA/s are still together...does that mean Excels are junk?

That being said, If you can get new OEM wheels for $500 a set...DO IT!!!

The OEMs I saw were $650-$700 for the set, which is damn good price. I just wish I can remember where I saw it. :thumbsup:

I found the site with the OEM wheels. $620 for the set WITH rotors and rimlocks. I think this might be the best deal in wheels around.

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/catalogs/detail/26/200/400/167363/all/0/0/1/4/49/96/626/yamaha-genuine-yzwr-offroad-wheel-kits.aspx

Sportsplaza has some of the best prices around up front,

but they get you on shipping. I've been using them for years.

When the shipping is too high there, I go to Surdyke Yamaha

who ships ground for free with a slightly higher up front cost.

For example, on the wheels you linked, Sportsplaza is $244 for a front

and Surdyke is $260. Further inspection shows Sportsplaza wants $29

shipping and Surdyke is free so Surdyke is actually $13 cheaper.

All that said, you should also talk to the TT store to see if they'll match

the best of Sportsplaza/Surdyke since that's partially what's paying for this forum.

Hi there

No trying to get you to buy them but I did buy some for a old bike here

murelli

Regards

Arnego2

How many different wheels have you tried? Talon/excel "ultralight" wheels are actually 2lbs heavier than stock. Stock excel rims are the 6000 series aluminum and are pretty soft. Aftermarket Excel rims (7000 series aluminum) are the best option, but there are others that are not bad. I've had very good luck with prowheels. I ran a 30 minute moto after getting a flat tire on the first lap on a prowheel and it held up great other than some scratches. To be honest, I have bent more 7000 series excel rims than I have prowheel rims, and I have a few seasons on the 4 sets of prowheels that I have.

You're right about the Talon/Excel wheel being heavier than stock. But, in my experience, that wheel is bulletproof. I've had exactly opposite experience as you with respect to stock vs. prowheels. I trashed two sets (front and rear) prowheels. Rims split at the welds, which seems to be a common problem with prowheels. When the rims let go, so do the hubs. I've had excellent luck with the stock wheels. I tend to replace the spokes with SS ones.