Sign in to follow this  

WD-40 not good on my plastic

Last night I got some over spray of WD-40 on my radiator shroud. I have black plastics on my 2009 DRZ. When I wiped it off with a clean soft rag it dulled the shine right off and now it looks like flat black. I'm pissed It doesn't say anything on the can about not getting on plastic. I'm going to write them today and see what they say. I tried Maguires plastic polish and it did nothing to shine it up.

Edited by johnnysalami1957
spelling

You may try spraying some Maxima SC-1 on your plastic....It will make the plastic shiny again....

Edited by bikeride4fun

You may try spraying some Maxima SC-1 on your plastic....It will make the plastic shiny again....

same thing as pro prep. its the savior of all black plastic.

Also don't get it on your brakes :-)...

Yupp, I've tried it on one of my racers, didn't get past first curve..:thumbsup:

same thing as pro prep. its the savior of all black plastic.

does it work well at restoring shine on white plastics as well?

my white ufo rear fender lost some shine.

i knew wd40 dulled plastic, but i also know it does a great job of cleaning it.

i tried using it sparingly, but still lost the shine.

please take pictures of the "didnt work".

you spray it on and leave it a nd maybe wipe it down later. is that what you did?

I had that problem on my all black YFZ450 a couple years ago. I got some black magic plastic and rubber protection from Kragen which worked great. Shined them back up. Something to try

Just my 2 cent but I use automatic transmission fluid on plastics, a fella I work with reckons brake fluid as well but I've not tried that so I can't comment.

Thanks guys I'm going to get some pro prep. I'm still pissed and waiting from a response from WD-40 folks. I will keep you informed.

you want more lawyers, and more stupid stickers warning you stuff is dangerous.... or just want to learn ? it's plastic. meh.

you want more lawyers, and more stupid stickers warning you stuff is dangerous.... or just want to learn ? it's plastic. meh.

Nah Just a note saying may dull some plastics. I do not wish to "learn" on my plastics. I use WD- 40 to remove stupid stickers.

Nah Just a note saying may dull some plastics. I do not wish to "learn" on my plastics. I use WD- 40 to remove stupid stickers.

thats because WD-40 is a SOLVENT. "anything" you use to remove "anything" else, has the potential to remove "anything" else. Glue, stickers, skin, paint, shine. dye from fabric etc... People shouldnt be surprised when it damages things. And anyone who wants to tell me otherwise or defend it, next time you get all greasy working in the shop, take a can of wd-40 and soak your hands then hit them with a rag and see how clean WD gets them. Its a solvent, use it accordingly. Its not chain lube either for any of the dopes who still think it is :thumbsup:

thats because WD-40 is a SOLVENT. "anything" you use to remove "anything" else, has the potential to remove "anything" else. Glue, stickers, skin, paint, shine. dye from fabric etc... People shouldnt be surprised when it damages things. And anyone who wants to tell me otherwise or defend it, next time you get all greasy working in the shop, take a can of wd-40 and soak your hands then hit them with a rag and see how clean WD gets them. Its a solvent, use it accordingly. Its not chain lube either for any of the dopes who still think it is :thumbsup:

WD-40 is part solvent... and part lubricant (%15 IIRC). Lots of chemicals in there. Not that I use it for my chain or anything but there's always this:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/chains/Lubrication/WD40experiment.pdf

I agree with the rest though.