TE 510 - Oil Change

Hey boys, I just bought a 2006 TE 510 and am looking foward to some good times ahead. I did not get an owners manual with the bike and have a question. I would appreciate any help here.

1. What is the oil capacity and oil weight?

thx!

Hey boys, I just bought a 2006 TE 510 and am looking foward to some good times ahead. I did not get an owners manual with the bike and have a question. I would appreciate any help here.

1. What is the oil capacity and oil weight?

thx!

Capacity should be near 2 quarts.

Weight, I went with the thinnest/thickest that I could get cheap: 15/50 Mobil1 synthetic. That way, you get some flow at start up with the 15w, and then you get the 50 weight at operating temps.

Hey, thx for the reply. I'm surprised by that 15/50 weight, is that difficult to come by? Thx again.

My 2010 TE450 calls for 10w/60...try finding any of that. I found Mobil 15w/50 at walmart, bought 3 gallons of it, that's about 6 oil changes

Great, thx for the info.

You can also use 20/50. Should hold 1.8 qt with a filter change, be sure to check & clean if needed all (3) of the screens

I believe that model has a oil sight glass no?

Not stock on the 06, I added one from 7602 makes things much simpler:thumbsup:

Not stock on the 06, I added one from 7602 makes things much simpler:thumbsup:

thats right, and yes, nice 7602 part. :thumbsup:

Great. Now, I wonder about the valves. I don't have a record as to when they were last checked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The valves are pretty easy to check, I would check them just for piece of mind since it's a new to you bike, but they usually do not move much on these bikes. It's still a good idea to check them once a year

as far as oil goes, i recently learned that ducati/husky/and i think bmw or another company have merged. motul i thik makes the oil i got. 10/60. i talked to their "chief mechanic" about my 06 510 and he said one quart is plenty but i was real enthusiastic about that. I think they had to put an addition on the building just to fit his ego. closer to 2 qts sounds like its more correct. luckily i hadnt ran the bike much since the oil change.