Suspension bleeders spewing oil.

I replaced the bleed screws in my forks with bleeders(can't recall the name brand) so I can bleed the air off every so often while I ride. They worked great when I first got them, but now they blow a small amount of fork oil out the little hole when I bleed the air. So I disassembled them and attempted a cleaning.

DSCN4297.jpg?t=1303820237

DSCN4298.jpg?t=1303820237

DSCN4301.jpg?t=1303820237

After I cleaned 'em up real good with WD-40.

DSCN4302.jpg?t=1303820237

Hopefully they will bleed off just air now, no oil. Wasn't enough oil to change the height, just enough to make the top of my forks and triple clamp a little greasy.

I run a set of the push button bleeders and have never had any problems with them...I do know you need to wait a bit after riding to bleed the forks...Plus I like having it on the stand with no pressure on the forks....When I am racing I wait right before I get ready to race before I bleed the forks....

I run a set of the push button bleeders and have never had any problems with them...I do know you need to wait a bit after riding to bleed the forks...Plus I like having it on the stand with no pressure on the forks....When I am racing I wait right before I get ready to race before I bleed the forks....

Mine didn't do it when I first put them in, hell, I could bleed them while sittin' on the bike, while on the stand, before and after race/ride, never once spewed oil. Wasn't an extreme amount of oil. Just enough for an oily mist to spray out.

I'm hoping that clears it up, if not, I'll order a new set. These are about 3 years old.

Ok..I hope it clears up for you....The oil is a little confusing to me...These bleeders are just spring loaded valves that are either open or closed....I have seen a few other threads about the same subject....Not sure what they did to solve this....

Only thing I can think is that inner chamber fork oil is collecting in the bleeder itself and is "on top of the air". Like I said, not enough to really be concerned with, just aggravates the life out of me.

I have never tried to bleed them while actually rolling through the woods. During a short rest, soon as I unload the bike, before I reload the bike, and on the stand if it doesn't get ridden for a few days.

If it doesn't stop, I'm gonna replace the factory screws until I can get another set. The concept and function (when they function properly) of the bleeders is awesome.

The bleeders are not ment to be bled while riding, put the bike on the stand ad then bleed the forks I've never liked the bleeders I always just turn the screw while on the stand

?

I do not like them either. Just adds another week link and more possible problems.

Only thing I can think is that inner chamber fork oil is collecting in the bleeder itself and is "on top of the air". Like I said, not enough to really be concerned with, just aggravates the life out of me.

I have never tried to bleed them while actually rolling through the woods. During a short rest, soon as I unload the bike, before I reload the bike, and on the stand if it doesn't get ridden for a few days.

If it doesn't stop, I'm gonna replace the factory screws until I can get another set. The concept and function (when they function properly) of the bleeders is awesome.

I missed this post, Dmauro is correct, it bleeds the outer chamber. Inner chamber is isolated from that area.

I was suspecting that mine are leaking and let the air out by itself..Recent investigation revealed that this is true and they created a vacuum after some aggressive and bumpy downhill ride...Will throw them away!

I was suspecting that mine are leaking and let the air out by itself..Recent investigation revealed that this is true and they created a vacuum after some aggressive and bumpy downhill ride...Will throw them away!

?

the weak link I was talking about.

I replaced the bleed screws in my forks with bleeders(can't recall the name brand) so I can bleed the air off every so often while I ride. They worked great when I first got them, but now they blow a small amount of fork oil out the little hole when I bleed the air. So I disassembled them and attempted a cleaning.

On the KYB forks the base valve cap has an upper and lower o-ring. When the cap is screwed down into the cartridge, it creates a channel or gap between the upper and lower o-ring.

Feeding into this o-ring created channel, is a small hole on the side of the cartridge tube. When you remove the screw or press the bleeder, the air that is built up in the lower chamber comes through the cartridge hole, through the o-ring channel and then out the bleeder or bleed hole.

The problem is that oil likes to build up into the channel between the two o-rings and can't drain down because the hole in the cartridge is not facing towards the back of the bike.

In other words, the caps and the cartridges are not made in a way so that when the base valve assemblies are put into the cartridge tubes, that the cartridge holes will face down and backwards when the cap bleed hole is facing forward. ?

This is also why when you sometimes rebuild a fork set and mix caps and tubes, you suddenly have one or both forks blowing fluid when you didn't prior to the build. It's also the reason why one fork may do it and not the other.

The fix is to add two more bleed passage holes in the cartridge, for a total of three, with each of them evenly spaced. 120 degrees apart. A lot of work for a silly little problem.

I hate bleeding my forks using the factory screw caps. Theres always a few grains of dirt around the screw just waiting to fall in. They also were out pretty fast. I love the convenience of the button bleeders . They've always spewd a tiny bit of oil. My only concern has been the bleeder actually failing and letting air bipass underway. Has this ever happened to any one?

Been using bleeders for years

On a long ride when the front end starts feeling harsh, reach down and push each bleeder and all of a sudden it's like riding a different bike

I also bleed off the pressure when my bike is cinched down in the back of the truck

Been using bleeders for years

On a long ride when the front end starts feeling harsh, reach down and push each bleeder and all of a sudden it's like riding a different bike

I also bleed off the pressure when my bike is cinched down in the back of the truck

Thats why I like the bleeders, so easy to just push the button to let the pressure off. If I have to have a screw driver to let off the pressure, I won't bleed them near as often.