1982 Honda XL500R "$100 Find"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thanks, & I guess umm not sure if this is going to be a build thread:excuseme: you could call it that though.

The milage that's on the bike is just over 19,000km (approx.14,000 miles) http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/MightyQuinn1/?action=view&current=IMG_0114.jpg

Heres a pic with valve cover off .I don't think it's that bad?IMG_0120.jpg

Well after looking at the top I was very curiuos at what it was going to look like when I took off the clutch cover. When I took off the gutted muffler there was about 2 to 3 cups of water trapped in the pipe .I thought this bottom end would have a rust line where the water could have been sitting ,but all was surprisingly looking OK. ?

IMG_0122.jpg

So after all the WD-40 that I sprayed into the cylinder ,I loosend off the timing tentioner & top cam gear I took off the head mmm yummi!

IMG_0126.jpg

Before I took off the head though I had to see if I could unsieze this motor so buy taking a socket & rachet I put it on the nut on the end of the crank shaft.Going clockwise then counterclockwise back & forth ,back& forth for a couple of minites. Then I saw it ,a frction of play in between the timing gear & the clutch gear.More back&forth for a little while longer it started to brake loose & all of a sudden she was turning:banana:? Dance to the music!

With all of that done so far I had to clean the goop off the piston & there it was to little dents form the intake valves:banghead:

IMG_0128.jpg

If you now look at the head you can see that the valves are not completly closed ,so the valves are bent also, DAM!

IMG_0129-1.jpg

This tells me that the motor went out of time some how ? To much slack in the chain maybe & the tentioner not ever being tightened & probably starting it there was the nasty kickback ,jumping a tooth on the gears & bang you have bent valves & one damaged piston!

I really don't know what to think at this point ,so if you guys have any ideas let me know,this is my first tear down of a thumper. Thanks from all you guys !

This is the greatest for me doing a rebuild , but my wife thinks it's like another girlfriend.What the funk ?Like really ! Oh...I forgot it has two tires:lol:

Thanks a lot.......?

Edited by MghtyQuinn

Ebay, craigslist, etc. There is lots of parts out there for these bikes. The '79-82 500 engines are all basically the same, only detail changes. I had to combine 3 motors to get one that is good. Make sure you have the book. They are pretty simple. Good luck. Troy341

Because 2 of the three motors ran and the adjuster wouldn't take up all the slack. The chain would slap and grind on the cases. I didn't even bother to worry about whether the 3d one was stretched, I just assumed from the condition of the other 2 that it was. A new chain was cheap enough to make it a no brainer. Two motors had oversize wiseco pistons, but only one was serviceable so that is what I have. I do have to run good high octane gas since it does ping a bit when it is hot, but it does run good so I think that a bore and piston is a good idea. Troy341

Because 2 of the three motors ran and the adjuster wouldn't take up all the slack. The chain would slap and grind on the cases. I didn't even bother to worry about whether the 3d one was stretched, I just assumed from the condition of the other 2 that it was. A new chain was cheap enough to make it a no brainer. Two motors had oversize wiseco pistons, but only one was serviceable so that is what I have. I do have to run good high octane gas since it does ping a bit when it is hot, but it does run good so I think that a bore and piston is a good idea. Troy341

So (Troy341) A Wiseco piston first over size would be OK ,& on 91 Octane or what do you think?