Northern Ohio

Ohio

Neighbors ot the South,

I was hoping you guys could let me know where a few spots to ride in the north part of Ohio. I usually go to the Northern part of Michigan and live about 30 minutes west of the Motor City.

Thanks in advance for anything you guys turf up!

Thanks,

Tim

I'm in Fort Wayne, IN and always looking for places.

I've read about a National Forest in the north western part of the state but the name escapes me. Seems to be a popular and nice place.

depending on your definition of "northern" ohio, maybe wellsville. it's at the extreme eastern end of ohio, though, so will be a bit of a haul for you.

on the other hand, the riding there is awesome, so it may be worth a trip every once in a blue moon.

Wyane National Forest south of Cleveland 3 hrs. This area will give you plenty of riding time. Marienville PA has a great set of trail 3 hrs east of Cleveland. Mines and Medows just north of Pittsburg PA. If you were local there are several quick trail riding areas however not worth your drive from Mi.

Not really any legit trails areas that I know of in the Northern half of Ohio. In addition to Wayne NF, there's also Perry State Forest about hour East of Columbus.

Not really any legit trails areas that I know of in the Northern half of Ohio. In addition to Wayne NF, there's also Perry State Forest about hour East of Columbus.

Wayne and Perry are the ones I heard about.

What's the legal requirements to ride in state forests in Ohio?

Not really any legit trails areas that I know of in the Northern half of Ohio.

But there are plenty of not-so-legit trails... :thumbsup: Many miles of abandoned railroads, too.

riverbed_rd.jpg

markey_01.jpg

See the Cleveland thread in the dual sport forum.

Wayne and Perry are the ones I heard about.

What's the legal requirements to ride in state forests in Ohio?

Ohio or visitor registrations and state forest trail permit. Trail permits are sold at many state ranger stations at trail entrances. Ohio or visitor registrations are sold at Ohio DMV's. Check where you will be riding at for other age and bike requirements.

Coming from IN or MI, I would go to Marienville PA (turnpike 80 east to PA 80 exit at RT66). They recognize other state registration (states the recognize PA's) and all you need is a trail permit. $35 for a year or $25 for a weekend or $15 for a day. Drive would be about the same and you don't need to mess with Ohio DMV! I gave too much money to Ohio for trail building, my money goes elsewhere now.

Ohio or visitor registrations and state forest trail permit. Trail permits are sold at many state ranger stations at trail entrances. Ohio or visitor registrations are sold at Ohio DMV's. Check where you will be riding at for other age and bike requirements.

Coming from IN or MI, I would go to Marienville PA (turnpike 80 east to PA 80 exit at RT66). They recognize other state registration (states the recognize PA's) and all you need is a trail permit. $35 for a year or $25 for a weekend or $15 for a day. Drive would be about the same and you don't need to mess with Ohio DMV! I gave too much money to Ohio for trail building, my money goes elsewhere now.

PA is a long way from IN. Ohio is a wide ass state! :thumbsup:

Depends where you are located in IN. Wyane would be just as far as PA if youre in the northern part of the state. Same if you were coming from MI.

Ohio now recognizes other state's ORV registrations if that state recognizes Ohio's. Also, if you are street plated, you're good to go to, no need to worry about ORV sticker. Maumee State forest in the northwest corner has an ORV trail. I've never been, but heard it's rather short, mostly sand, and no side trails or free ride area. If you're within an hour or so, or if you have kids on minis, it's not bad, but not worth driving much farther for.

Link to Maumee State Forest, http://ohiodnr.com/DNN/forests/maumee/tabid/5159/Default.aspx

The best dirtbike riding on public lands in Ohio is Perry State Forest an hour east of Columbus. It's a reclaimed strip mining area with some free ride, creek riding, some fun hillclimbs (for central Ohio anyways), but that's a ways away from NW Ohio, SE Mich.

Wayne National Forest is heavily maintained, to the point of being a 5' or wider gravel road anymore, bridges over every creek, and lots of ATVs, and it's all 2-way traffic, and no free ride areas. There are plenty of cool hillclimbs off trail, but if you're caught, it's $125.

Ohio recognizes other states but you would need a visitor registrations for out of state bikes. Ohio was upset that people from the west was tearing up Maumee State forest and wasn't paying for it. Ohio stopped recognizing other states and this stupid idea backfired. PA registrations up 500% that year. Ohio now recognizes other states with a visitor's registrations. Has this has changed in the last year???

Ohio recognizes other states but you would need a visitor registrations for out of state bikes. Ohio was upset that people from the west was tearing up Maumee State forest and wasn't paying for it. Ohio stopped recognizing other states and this stupid idea backfired. PA registrations up 500% that year. Ohio now recognizes other states with a visitor's registrations. Has this has changed in the last year???

Straight from the website i linked to: "I’m not from Ohio; can I still ride there?" If your state requires you to register your APV and you have it registered in that state, you may ride. If your state doesn’t require you to register your machine, you must obtain a temporary operating permit (good for one year) from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Ohio offered reciprocity for many years, then pulled it about 2-3 years ago (my understanding was that it was an issue with Michigan not offering reciprocity on our ORV sticker). They re-instated the reciprocity about a year ago.

PA numbers went up because PA started making it mandatory. Didn't have anything to do with Ohio.

Sure it did, PA's (out of state from Ohio) went up and Ohio's (in state renewals) went down. If it happen at different time I would question it but it didn't! People choose to register in PA vs. Ohio so they can ride there. Again stupid idea not having reciprocity with other states. That's ok, Ohio is getting thier money with the increase of the registration fees,, up 300%!

Sure it did, PA's (out of state from Ohio) went up and Ohio's (in state renewals) went down. If it happen at different time I would question it but it didn't! People choose to register in PA vs. Ohio so they can ride there. Again stupid idea not having reciprocity with other states. That's ok, Ohio is getting thier money with the increase of the registration fees,, up 300%!

You never said anything about out of state registration. You made it sound like PA residents started registering their ORVs. That wouldn't have anything to do with Ohio. Now that Ohio offers reciprocity again, it'll be interesting to see if the stats for PA drop off. Realistically, it's the NE Ohio folks who go to PA, the rest of Ohio has better options closer.

Most riders I met will drive 1-2 hrs limit for a day trip. I am lucky to have a place 3 hrs into PA passing several nice riding areas. I just wish northeast-north central Ohio would open a riding area. I spend a whole lot of money outside of Ohio because of this reason!

Most riders I met will drive 1-2 hrs limit for a day trip. I am lucky to have a place 3 hrs into PA passing several nice riding areas. I just wish northeast-north central Ohio would open a riding area. I spend a whole lot of money outside of Ohio because of this reason!

I hear ya, I grew up on the west side of Cleveland and there's nothing close by. You'd think they could find a way to put in a 10-15mile trail in the CV National Park, they do bill it as a "National Recreation Area". Heck, even put in something a little farther south near Akron/Canton area. There's plenty of land out there, all ya have to do is make a couple trips on the Turnpike or south down 77 to see lots of woods that are not that far from Cleveland.