Sign in to follow this  

XR650R Suspension Options

I am finally getting around to working on my super low hours new too me 2002 650R that I bought in Feb. I have slowly been swapping parts off my 2000 650R and getting it ready to be sold.

My question is; I want to get the suspension setup for Baja style riding but after calling around to PC and M&M Offroad it looks like I am in for a $grand to do so. Maybe I am missing something but a grand on an ol slug like a 650 just seems like way too much. A few other shops are less but not sure how well they know the 650. So are there any options that can put me in a good setup w/out spending half the value of the bike? I do not plan on doing the work myself either. Live in San Diego but get around So Cal a fair amount for work so dropping off somewhere in So Cal is not a big deal

FYI, my 2000 650 has full tilt PC susp setup but has 10 years of riding on it and would rather not swap that out as internals might be worn. It works pretty good but wasn't as plush as my 600. Felt it would be best to start fresh.

I totally know what you're saying. It is a grand to fix suspension. I cringed.

It was worth it though. The 650 is an acquired technique. It has cult status. It is the "Fight Club" of motorcycles.

There's a guy you can call and it will be a few hundred less. PM sent

Are you finding that M&M is about the same price as Precision? It's the same work being done to the same specs from what I understand, but I'm surprised if it's not cheaper. Good people over there by the way.

Are you finding that M&M is about the same price as Precision? It's the same work being done to the same specs from what I understand, but I'm surprised if it's not cheaper. Good people over there by the way.

M&M was actually just over $50 more. Which surprised me as I was figuring less due to small shop, less overhead, etc. Def nice customer service though but bottom line is pricing for what I get.

When I had my XR650R suspension done at PC it was at the end of the XR650R program there and they were moving to the CRF. I spoke with Bob at length and he was great about taking the time to explain it all. I remember clearly he said that unless I was riding at Campbell/Hengeveld speeds that the CR500 rear chock would actually slow me down.

A $GRAND$ ??? Does this include the cr 500 shock?
Edited by pmxr

Bob sure knows his stuff when it comes to the xr 650. I have done several races in the past including the B1k and V2R on a 650 with the cr 500 shock on and that thing was great and could really take the hits. I have never raced one with a revalved stock shock so I really can't compare.

Pricing includes springs, valving, cones, bumpers piston mods, some polishing and I believe anodizing on rear. No CR500 shock hybrid.

I feel the above shops know their stuff but I can't see spending a grand on an old school bike like 650. Just seems that you could get good results for less.

I think you could have just about as much fun for less.

That said, I have the full PC setup minus the CR500 part. I mean all of it too including the Ti spring unless there is something additional PC only applies to their Team Bikes. I let guys who are better at the nuances than I ride theirs and mine back to back on a three day ride several years ago. The other two bikes had other prominent suspension setups but not M&M-one was Race tech I think and the other was home job following Boydnar's advice. Both the other guys were pretty impressed by the remarkable difference in suspension quality for the PC setup. One guy, the best rider of the three of us, said that no matter how fast he went the bike seemed to stay hooked up and grounded and going straight.

For me I think the added quality that PC brings to the party makes my riding safer and easier and more fun on the XRR. With the stock suspension and engine I don't think the bike is worth riding. I'd much rather be on a 250 2smoker like Yamaha's latest. That said, it's really out of character for me to spend that amount of money on a suspension setup. I've never done it before (I've never spent more than on springs before.) Would I do it again? Well, it makes such a huge difference on this specific bike that I think I would. If I built another XRR I wouldn't hesitate to do four things: PC suspension, HRC cam, PC head porting, Renazco seat.

Problem is now PC doesn't have all the parts. I got some deals because they were blowing out the XR650R works boxes full of stuff that I'm guessing they didn't pay retail for...

I hope that helps.

Pricing includes springs, valving, cones, bumpers piston mods, some polishing and I believe anodizing on rear. No CR500 shock hybrid.

I feel the above shops know their stuff but I can't see spending a grand on an old school bike like 650. Just seems that you could get good results for less.

My 650R suspension was stock, even the springs. It was ok, rideable, just not enjoyable in the whoops, but was great in the rocks. I can see where Dave would not want to lay down 50% (or so) of the bike's value in suspension at this point. I was thinking that springs were more or less $100-$110 per end and valving usually around $180 per end. After fluid and all the other small things, it should not be over $800, but yeah, still it's a lot of cash. I don't think there is any way around it through a shop as the parts are not any cheaper just because it's an old bike and the labor to do the work is not reduced either. Perhaps source the springs yourself and check out the suspension forum to see if anyone has some good valving specs to try a D.I.Y. setup. It seems like rocket science to a cave man like me, but having had my '92 KTM 550 shock and shims spread all across my kitchen table one time, it's just swapping (or in some cases removing) shims to make it better. I'd be willing to bet that Mark at M&M could even give you some tips as to what might be a good starting point for your weight and ability. Sometimes it's just satisfying doing that stuff yourself and making it better even if it doesn't turn out perfect. This is kind of interesting:

http://borynack.com/XR650R/xr650r_forks.htm

No reason to do a thing to that motor though, as you know it's good to go! Cams and porting, even an exhaust as BBM mentioned, would be a complete waste of money better spent elsewhere.

Edited by OUTERLIMITS

Well, my opinion is no better than anyone else's. Still I will say that every friend who has ridden my bike with the HRC cam and the PC porting has gone out and done the same to his bike. The difference is stunning and personally I would NOT keep the bike if I hadn't had those two things done. The bike is heavy, relatively expensive, and dull without those two improvements. It's not significantly better than an XR400 IMHO. Personally, I think the problems arise when people go the cheap shortcut route with an offmarket cam and joe blow porting. My bike has midrange to spare and that IMHO is where the fun is. It hits like a 2stroke and pulls all the way to near redline.

No reason to do a thing to that motor though, as you know it's good to go! Cams and porting, even an exhaust as BBM mentioned, would be a complete waste of money better spent elsewhere.

FYI, my 2000 650 has full tilt PC susp setup but has 10 years of riding on it and would rather not swap that out as internals might be worn. It works pretty good but wasn't as plush as my 600. Felt it would be best to start fresh.

I would think that the 2000 suspension could be gone thru and refurbished for a lot less than a grand. I would think as long as the shock body internal bore isn't worn, that all you would need would be bushings, seals fluid etc. just a thought.

I would think that the 2000 suspension could be gone thru and refurbished for a lot less than a grand. I would think as long as the shock body internal bore isn't worn, that all you would need would be bushings, seals fluid etc. just a thought.

I am starting to lean towards this option, refurb the 2000 bike and put it in the new bike. Any reasons why not to do this?

Why not call Bob at PC and ask him?

I am starting to lean towards this option, refurb the 2000 bike and put it in the new bike. Any reasons why not to do this?