Sign in to follow this  

XL500R Air Cutoff valve

On my 82, I am still having starting problems. The only thing I can see wrong is the air cuttoff valve may be damaged. What does the air cutoff valve do and if it is not working properly can it cause hard starting problems.

It is designed to stop popping under deceleration . When you close the throttle it opens under vacuum . I don't think it should affect starting .

It is designed to stop popping under deceleration . When you close the throttle it opens under vacuum . I don't think it should affect starting .

So if it is permanently closed instead of open majority of the time, would that not affect starting.

I'm clutching at straws here.

I will answer here as to not Hi-jack Quinn's thread

To tell you the truth I have not gotten to my carbs yet, but they do also have the Air-cut-off valve. Maybe one of the other guys here has some ideas.

I would guess no to it causing starting issues but I'm not 100% sure. I think it is running within the pilot/slow circuit of the carb so maybe?

Can you temporarily remove the diaphragm to test it out?

Can you temporarily remove the diaphragm to test it out?

Since the cutoff is broken, removing it would do the same since it is not actuating the cutoff.

Waiting for a new one to arrive.