Sign in to follow this  

Texas National Tire Wisdom required

Hello all,

I am looking forward to the national this weekend, and am trying to prepare what to carry with me (no minder for me).

Usually I carry a drink holder with two 500ml bottles of water, a few cliff bar snacks, and an allen wrench multi tool, and nothing else.

So far (touch wood) I have not had to fix anything on my bike during an event, but I am warned about the possibility of flat tires during the event.

I was thinking of replacing one of my drink bottles with a spare tube, pump, some tire turds, and a turd insertion tool.

My question is, if I take it easy on the loop and can keep from getting a pinch flat, am I really that likely to get a flat from cactus needles?

Am I being over-paranoid?

Thanks, Jon

The cactus is pretty mean. It's cleared pretty well but if you get off course you could run thru some. I run sealer in the front. It helps, but it doesn't work great with low pressure. The rear seems to hold up much better than the front. I ride there almost every weekend and rarely get a flat. I wouldn't worry about a pinch flat on most of the loop.

See ya there, Kerry

The cactus is pretty mean. It's cleared pretty well but if you get off course you could run thru some. I run sealer in the front. It helps, but it doesn't work great with low pressure. The rear seems to hold up much better than the front. I ride there almost every weekend and rarely get a flat. I wouldn't worry about a pinch flat on most of the loop.

See ya there, Kerry

Well, that makes me feel better... a national event is hard enough, for me, without adding to the challenge!! I always seem to be pressed for time at the end of the day for some reason.