Sign in to follow this  

True Dual Purpose Tire Experience

I just purchased my new to me DRZ400S with 2700 street miles. It still has the trailwings on it with plenty of tread left.

My riding will consist of riding on asphault up to 30 miles one way and taking gravel roads with the occasional singletrack when I come to them. Here in northern Michigan we have primarily sandy to firm roads and trails. Not very much mud at all and I'm not going looking for it either.

I still would like to be able to go for a good road ride with my friends and their cruisers.

What I am looking for input on is a dual purpose tire that performs well despite obvious compromises and lasts better than DOT knobbies.

Are the trail wings the best compromise or is there something better?

I like the TW's on the road and gravel but hate them even for occasional single track. Have you tried searching? There are lots of threads started about this topic.

I just purchased my new to me DRZ400S with 2700 street miles. It still has the trailwings on it with plenty of tread left.

My riding will consist of riding on asphault up to 30 miles one way and taking gravel roads with the occasional singletrack when I come to them. Here in northern Michigan we have primarily sandy to firm roads and trails. Not very much mud at all and I'm not going looking for it either.

I still would like to be able to go for a good road ride with my friends and their cruisers.

What I am looking for input on is a dual purpose tire that performs well despite obvious compromises and lasts better than DOT knobbies.

Are the trail wings the best compromise or is there something better?

trailwings will do fire roads (that's what we call firm dirt roads out west), but so will a street tire

as ^^^^^^ said; there are tons of threads about this, and lots of opinions

Dunlop 606 are a pretty good rear tire (but it IS a DOT knobbie)

Expensive but pretty good are TKCs, although they are more suited to bigger bikes

Scorpion for the front

If you rarely see singletrack, the trailwings are a good dirt road/street/no mud tiure

The trailwings will perform well for you until you get into mud or wet grass. If you are going to be doing any off-road hill climbs...you're going to want more serious tires also.

When you wear the trail wings out...there are plenty of similiar use tires out there to choose from. The more agressive you choose...the shorter they will last on the street.

Oh...and always balance. Don't let anybody tell you that you don't need to balance dirt bike tires. Those idiots have never ridden a dirt bike 70MPH on a highway.

• Like 1

I would second the tkc 80's you will get a good few thousand miles from them. They grip well wet or dry on the road and offer reasonable performance on gravel and dry off road conditions. I have not used them yet on the drz as at the moment i run dot knobbly tyres, but for any long adventure type riding over mixed ground they would be my choice.

I would second the tkc 80's you will get a good few thousand miles from them. They grip well wet or dry on the road and offer reasonable performance on gravel and dry off road conditions. I have not used them yet on the drz as at the moment i run dot knobbly tyres, but for any long adventure type riding over mixed ground they would be my choice.

Thanks guys! Blackberry is acting up and its the only access I have right now. What are TKCs? A brand or model?

Thanks guys! Blackberry is acting up and its the only access I have right now. What are TKCs? A brand or model?

Continental is the brand tkc80 is the model:thumbsup:

in my experience, dunlop 606's handle just fine on pavement (including highways).

the rears do only last me about 2000 miles, though. i could make them last longer, but i can't resist the urge to get on the throttle hard now and then (OK, more than just now and then) on pavement.

they do well off-road except in mud where they are not so great.

if you use two rim locks per wheel...mounted opposite each other...you do not, or at least i have found that i do not, have to balance them--the two rim locks on opposite sides of the rim seem to balance the wheel fine. (and that does include 70+ highway speeds. no wobbles, the wear pattern is even, etc.)

this is just my experience with them...ymmv, of course.

in my experience, dunlop 606's handle just fine on pavement (including highways).

the rears do only last me about 2000 miles, though. i could make them last longer, but i can't resist the urge to get on the throttle hard now and then (OK, more than just now and then) on pavement.

they do well off-road except in mud where they are not so great.

if you use two rim locks per wheel...mounted opposite each other...you do not, or at least i have found that i do not, have to balance them--the two rim locks on opposite sides of the rim seem to balance the wheel fine. (and that does include 70+ highway speeds. no wobbles, the wear pattern is even, etc.)

this is just my experience with them...ymmv, of course.

I would only get about 800-1000 miles out of a D606 before they were no longer any more useful offroad than the trailwings. Once you loose 1/2 the knob...the tire might still be ok for the street and light dirt duty...they are not going to be much good for anything else.

I am putting trakmasters on mine right now...but when they are gone...I'm thinking a true dual sport tire will be in my future...maybe the 270s.

I'm one of the very few who have actually put TW's on my bike after a set of Trackmasters...crazy, I know. :thumbsup: I did it because I do a fair amount of street riding and hard pack off-roading...and they were inexpensive.

Anyway, my assessment is that they are "decent" tires, but it's true you want to avoid mud and sand with them (mostly b/c of the front end wash out.) That said a bud of mine and I (he on an XR650L) did some singletrack a few weeks back a few days after a rain. We had some respectable uphill climbs to deal with that were wet and while he went down on his bike I managed to make every one (not w/out some good spinning and sliding, but made all of them nonetheless.)

Would I buy them again? Probably not because they're not that great off road but primarily b/c of the fast wear (I have about 500 miles on mine, if that, and they are about halfway gone now...but then again I ride it pretty assertively on the street and wheelie a lot, so can't blame Bridgestone for that I suppose.)

Once you loose 1/2 the knob...the tire might still be ok for the street and light dirt duty...they are not going to be much good for anything else.

agreed...and the 2,000 miles is certainly pushing it (to say the least) toward the end from that standpoint. i have a pile of 606 rears in my basement that have enough left to still be good on pavement, but not on dirt. i have this idea that i will get a new 606 and mount it before i am going to ride dirt and then put one of the old ones back on for every day commuting. somehow, though, once the new one goes on for a dirt trip, i never seem to get around to switching back to the old one afterward.

i'm sure i would be "better off" with a more road dedicated tire from a wear standpoint. but on weekends, i'm really, really glad i run the 606's instead. :thumbsup: and i guess i just don't push my bike enough in the twisties to feel the need to switch from that standpoint.

i guess for me it comes down to:

1. 606's work well enough on pavement

2. trail wings and similar tires do not work well enough in the type of dirt i end up riding around here

3. i can live with having to replace the rear every 2,000 miles (sometimes a bit sooner if i am planning a particularly fun/challenging off road trip), though i certainly would rather get 5k out of a tire.

anyway, just my experiences in case they are of any use to the OP in making his decisions.

(to me, 606's are a "true dual sport tire" while trail wings are not. to me, a true dual sport tire works pretty much everywhere you do not need a very specialized tire--like bad mud, deep sand, or a race track. imho, 606s meet that qualification, while trail wings do not. but, i've noticed that everyone seems to have their own definition of "dual sport". :thumbsup:)

Pirelli MT 43.

I noticed when people say "dual sport" its usually what I call "adventure". Only a knobby (with the exception of the MT 43) would suffice for the dual sport riding I do.

For an "adventure" tire, have you guys seen the new Kenda Big Block?

http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/motorcycle/dual-sport/big-block.aspx

big_block_rear_zm.jpg

big_block_front_zm.jpg

Pirelli MT 43.

I noticed when people say "dual sport" its usually what I call "adventure". Only a knobby (with the exception of the MT 43) would suffice for the dual sport riding I do.

For an "adventure" tire, have you guys seen the new Kenda Big Block?

This is what type of info I'm looking for!^^^

You too, LittleRedToyota!

trailwings will do fire roads (that's what we call firm dirt roads out west), but so will a street tire

as ^^^^^^ said; there are tons of threads about this, and lots of opinions

Dunlop 606 are a pretty good rear tire (but it IS a DOT knobbie)

Expensive but pretty good are TKCs, although they are more suited to bigger bikes

Scorpion for the front

If you rarely see singletrack, the trailwings are a good dirt road/street/no mud tiure

I have been riding a pair of D 606's front and rear... they are a DOT knobbie as mentioned above but i ride a fair amount of single track and they do great! overall i feel that they area a better street/hard road tire, so ridding with your cruiser buddies wouldnt be a compromise at all they seem to preform great on the street i have used every single inch of tread on those when rallying a mtn road and had great traction so i would back up the 606's for sure overall i would say that they are alittle better on the street then dirt but like i said they kill at single track! =)

Hope that helps good luck on your searching!

Dunlop 606's all the way. I mainly ride alpine and desert single track w/ roads to get there. These tires truly do it all. If you are mostly riding the road w/ a few fire and forest roads here and there you could use the cheaper Kenda's. But if you are going to be getting after it in the dirt and don't want to completely destroy you tires on the pavement; you cant beat the 606's in my opinion. Buy them at rockymountainatvmc.com you will get fast free shipping and be hard pressed to find a better price. Happy Trails! :thumbsup:

I've had 3 different rear tires on my DR-Z since I've owned it: Dunlop D606, Kenda Trakmaster II, and Kenda Millville.

Off road, the Millville has been the best, much better than the D606. But its a track tire and doesn't last long and is slick as snot on the street.

The Trakmaster II is my next choice. Off road I like it better than the D606 and it good on road. But I think I only got about 1000 miles of dual sport use out of it. But I do tend to change my tires sooner than most people.

My third choice of the three is the D606. Works good off road and is the best of the three on road and wears really good, lasting much longer (relatively speaking) than the Kendas. I think I put about 1000 miles on my D606 before giving it to my brother who put another couple thousand on it with his XR650L.

That said, my next rear tire will be the Pirelli MT 43.

Up front I'm sold on the Pirelli Scorpion. Right now I have the Scorpion XCMH and it rocks. I hear the Scorpion Pro is even better so I'll try that next. I have over 1000 miles of off road (and probably another 1000 miles on road) on my Scorpion and its starting to show signs of needing replacement.

no-one has mentioned Michelin ac-10's, none of you guys had any experience with them? Thats what i'm using at the mo, came on the bike and i just replaced with the same when needed. I do a fair bit of road riding, they're pretty good in opinion, both on and off. Always willing to try a more recommended one though.

I'm running a 150/70 Metzeler Tourance on the rear of my SM. Good mileage but I don't fully trust them on wet tarmac. Good on dry dirt when I let pressures down for a bit of fun now and again.

I only bought the tyre as it was going cheap on ebay. Well worth 50 of your English Pounds delivered for this tyre. But I would probably consider something else (Distanzia or TWs) if I were buying new

After trying a few tires, trying to get the right 50/50 balance, I absolutely love and recommend bridgestones tw301 and 302 tires. They a stock on the WR250R and Honda XR650R. They have good wear and grip on the freeway and are not loud like some tires. I had a pair of maxxis that I couldn't "drive 55" because they were so loud. They also have good grip off road. they have gotten my through stuff with less effort then other tires (except the dunlop 606 and Pirelli MT21s). No dual sport tires will not do good through in deep sand. I don't think these tires are popular because they are not advertised or new.

I ride to work every day on paved roads. I even rode to work in Febuary this year in Minnesota.