excell rims LOOSE SPOKES!

i bought a bike (yz250, great bike) and it has aftermarket excell rims and talon hubs but the spokes are loose. im kind of stupid when it comes to spokes. any tips?

tighten them

Loosen up the rest of them...

You'll get a much better wobble in the wheel with all of them equally loose....:thumbsup:

If they have gotten to the point of REALLY loose,there might be cracks in the rim where the spoke nipple is.

Also they,(some) might be seized at the nipple. Some times you can break them loose with a little knock-er-loose fluid. If not they will need to be cut out. At this point i do the whole set by first using a Saws-all.

Try a 1\4 turn in for each one until they start to get tighter. Then tap each one with a screwdriver and listen for the "dead" ones that need a little extra in turns. During this have a wire tied to a fork to watch the 'run-out' of the rim.

DSCN6796.jpg

tighten them

they wont tighten... and if they do they come loose

hit them with wd-40, pb blaster or the like. let it soak for a day or so. then grip the spoke near the nipple with a pair of vice-grips and try to wiggle the nipple loose with the spoke wrench. it may take a few hits with lube but you can usually get them loosened up with this method. i'll usually go through and mark all the seized spokes with a piece of tape so it's easier to know which ones need the attention as it's a drawn out process at times.

of course it's much easier to just cut them all out and start over if you have the coin to spare.

Or can get them easily :thumbsup:

use a spoke wrench and tighten them correctly. probably goofed up from being so loose. A drop of PB blaster, WD40, or better yet TriFlow and allow to sit overnight. They should be able to be turned. try loosening first, just to break it free. then take up slack across the wheel, a few spokes at a time until snug, then true it up. Block up the bike, clamp a pencil to where it just skims the rim side, then tighten/loosen until true. Then do the same for diameter: loosen the tight places, and snug up the spokes a few out from the tight spot, it will pull the rim round.

If you are careful and take your time, it is easy once you figure out what does what. I had to learn because I was broke, and had bent rims from rocks. Got really good at it. Used to relace them all the time. If you keep ahead of this, you will only need to touch them up once in a while. Keep in mind that rim needs to remain centered in relation to forks, swingarm, etc. Go measure a new model similar to yours at a shop for reference, doesn't matter which side, just make yours the same. I always picked the right side as there is no chain to contend with.

If they have gotten to the point of REALLY loose,there might be cracks in the rim where the spoke nipple is.

Also they,(some) might be seized at the nipple. Some times you can break them loose with a little knock-er-loose fluid. If not they will need to be cut out. At this point i do the whole set by first using a Saws-all.

Try a 1\4 turn in for each one until they start to get tighter. Then tap each one with a screwdriver and listen for the "dead" ones that need a little extra in turns. During this have a wire tied to a fork to watch the 'run-out' of the rim.

I want your flanged rims.:thumbsup:

I want your flanged rims.:thumbsup:

Too late,they went home with this bike..:thumbsup::cheers:

DSCN6891.jpg

Too late,they went home with this bike..:thumbsup::cheers:

drats....:thumbsup: