Sign in to follow this  

Buying a bike from overseas

Hi guys, I'm from the UK and id like to buy my next bike from the USA as theres a lot more choice and the condition is generally much better than over here. Anyone ever imported or exported a bike before? I wouldn't know where to start. Would I have to pay any taxes and how would I pay for the bike etc?

Wait, what?

The US has better selection than someone else?

Im after a ex pro circuit bike, and their extremely rare over here, only ever seen 1 for sale.

That is definately not going to be cheap. And you will most likely be paying a hefty duty tax. I do a fair bit of shipping and recieving at my job. If I want to send something to the US, I have to sign 5 sheets of paper, more if it's a certain product. (NAFTA, free trade my ass). Expect to be doing a lot more. Plus parts avaliblity for Pro Curcuit over there is gonna suck.

Would I have to pay any taxes and how would I pay for the bike etc?

You have to pay port entrance fees plus taxes and duties. Also some bikes/vehicles may not meet the countries laws or standards so you would have to pay an exemption tax or royalty to be able to use it in the country.

Could be different for you but I know when I have sent cars to Dubai thats how it works

If you want the bike badly you should fly over to the U.S. with a bunch of empty suitcases. Then Disassemble the bike and put the peices into the empty suitcases and fly home. Then reassemble the bike and your good to go :thumbsup:. Im sure in the end plane tickets and luggage fees would cost as much as importing. I read an article somewhere and it mentioned some kid doing this with a rm125 to get to a race.

If you want the bike badly you should fly over to the U.S. with a bunch of empty suitcases. Then Disassemble the bike and put the peices into the empty suitcases and fly home. Then reassemble the bike and your good to go :thumbsup:. Im sure in the end plane tickets and luggage fees would cost as much as importing. I read an article somewhere and it mentioned some kid doing this with a rm125 to get to a race.

X2

I've seen it done too :thumbsup:

Id actually do that, I was thinking about flying over buying a bike and stripping it and putting it all in boxes and posting it over. But knowing my luck a box or 2 would go missing !!!

You have to pay port entrance fees plus taxes and duties. Also some bikes/vehicles may not meet the countries laws or standards so you would have to pay an exemption tax or royalty to be able to use it in the country.

Could be different for you but I know when I have sent cars to Dubai thats how it works

What cars you sent? Anything exciting? Are the taxes the same if the vehicle is new/used?

How would you even get it through the metal detectors and the x-Ray scanner lol

What cars you sent? Anything exciting? Are the taxes the same if the vehicle is new/used?

Its all been new cars. The Transformers movie edition of the GMC 4500 that looks like this

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/500/medium/163_0708_33z_2007_gmc_c4500_4x4_crew_cab_topKick_front_view.jpg

and a couple others that were just tricked out 4x4 4500's. They all wanted the big truck to play in the sand with. Sent about 15 or 20 of them over there before GM quit making these in the US.

Its all been new cars. The Transformers movie edition of the GMC 4500 that looks like this

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/gallery/data/500/medium/163_0708_33z_2007_gmc_c4500_4x4_crew_cab_topKick_front_view.jpg

and a couple others that were just tricked out 4x4 4500's. They all wanted the big truck to play in the sand with. Sent about 15 or 20 of them over there before GM quit making these in the US.

What a monster, hate to think how much fuel that would use we pay £7.50 a gallon here. Roughly about $4.50

What a monster, hate to think how much fuel that would use we pay £7.50 a gallon here. Roughly about $4.50

It gets about 6-8 mpg with those big mixer tires. Holds about 30 gallons

Instead of heading over with empty suitcases, break down a GPr or NSX or Aprilla street/track bike and stuff it in the cases. I'd love to get my hands on a 250.

If you've got a big suitcase, then a Tenier.

There are so many cool bikes overseas.

Its funny you say that, because a guy that used to work for my dad would disassemble full dirt bikes (they were NOT stolen, he would buy cheap used bikes) and send them to Brazil. Then a guy there would reassemble the bikes there and sell them. I'm not sure if this is still true, but at the time the bikes cost more money in Brazil so they made a good amount of money in that business.

Instead of heading over with empty suitcases, break down a GPr or NSX or Aprilla street/track bike and stuff it in the cases. I'd love to get my hands on a 250.

If you've got a big suitcase, then a Tenier.

There are so many cool bikes overseas.

Haha Theres an idea, import one and export the other in 1 trip, those 2stroke aprillia's go like stink, Ive done a bit of road racing on a ducati 749r and gsxr's the little 2 strokes can set more or less the same lap times.

Its funny you say that, because a guy that used to work for my dad would disassemble full dirt bikes (they were NOT stolen, he would buy cheap used bikes) and send them to Brazil. Then a guy there would reassemble the bikes there and sell them. I'm not sure if this is still true, but at the time the bikes cost more money in Brazil so they made a good amount of money in that business.
I lost a deal to a guy doing that a few years ago. Seller had an 83 XT250, or maybe 350 (been a while) which needed some work, but had a title and ran for $350? I happened to be the second caller. While I probably could have beat him there, I decided that I'd just wait and see what happened. The first guy bought it.

On a whim, I decided to try a "hey, I know you bought this, I want it, want to make some quick cash?" on CL.

The guy responded!

That was where the good part ends and the O. M. G. part begins. I can't find the email, but basically the new owner intended to do the same thing to ship to his father in some third world country. All he cared was that the bike was mostly complete and ran - even if it still needed work.

I told him "if you're just going to do that, I've got one that needs no work, runs, yada yada. I'll trade you and throw some cash in for your trouble."

He bit on that hook line and sinker. He calls me. His spoken English is worse than his written English. I tell him all about this other bike, tell him he can test ride it before we do the swap, etc.

After a good 20 minute conversation, he asks "what else you got?" I'm confused. I say, "you mean other bikes I'd want to sell?" He says "no, to give me for this bike" I say, "I'm thinking another $50"

He hung up on me. Which was fine, cause I may be crazy, but not stupid. I mainly wanted it because it's the same year and paint scheme as my 550 and it was titled so after I fixed it, it would be a cool addition. However, with the work it needed, it really wasn't worth much more than $350 (what it was listed at) and trading a good running newer bike plus $50 was very generous.

There was thread a few years back on a guy breaking down a bike and shipping it, I think to Canada. The problem was a max weight limit on each package for air shipping.