From smoker to stroker. and back again?

Well here I am. this is my last resort. I have tried everything I can think of to start this bike (2009 crf250r). I bought this bike a few months ago from a friend of mine ~i know~. it has sixty hours on it and has NEVER been beat on. it has the carb bowl upgrade and the air box air line kit?. The valves are at spec, compression is at 80, fuel is 93 and fresh, Pilot is 45, and main is 188, fuel screw at 1 and a quarter turns out. I bought it and raced it cold having not been on a bike in a year and having never rode a four stroke. It started great on the line (harescramble) and kept on going for over an hour and a half SOLID. It ran great and I will never sit on a two stroke again. In fact my rm is parted out on flea bay right now. I took it to the local tech to get checked out after I had trouble starting it. They found nothing wrong with it. I watched a fellow racer kick start it after three kicks about five times. I take full responsibility for not being able to start this bike but i have no idea what I am doing wrong. So that being said, I would GREATLY appreciate serious starting tips. I went from banging two stroke kick starters for about eight years to this awesome machine. just need a bit of help. And yes I have searched the net and this site. I dont want to know what might work I want to know what DOES WORK thanks in advance

Well here I am. this is my last resort. I have tried everything I can think of to start this bike (2009 crf250r). I bought this bike a few months ago from a friend of mine ~i know~. it has sixty hours on it and has NEVER been beat on. it has the carb bowl upgrade and the air box air line kit?. The valves are at spec, compression is at 80, fuel is 93 and fresh, Pilot is 45, and main is 188, fuel screw at 1 and a quarter turns out. I bought it and raced it cold having not been on a bike in a year and having never rode a four stroke. It started great on the line (harescramble) and kept on going for over an hour and a half SOLID. It ran great and I will never sit on a two stroke again. In fact my rm is parted out on flea bay right now. I took it to the local tech to get checked out after I had trouble starting it. They found nothing wrong with it. I watched a fellow racer kick start it after three kicks about five times. I take full responsibility for not being able to start this bike but i have no idea what I am doing wrong. So that being said, I would GREATLY appreciate serious starting tips. I went from banging two stroke kick starters for about eight years to this awesome machine. just need a bit of help. And yes I have searched the net and this site. I dont want to know what might work I want to know what DOES WORK thanks in advance

Remove your hands from the throttle while kicking it. These 4 strokes with the accelerator pump flood really easy. If you, even accidentally, twist the throttle while kicking it, it will flood and at that point, you are done trying to start it.

thanks for our reply. See thats the thing about this problem. I read and hear so much by the time I sit on the bike I dont know what to do. the dude that started it said to pull the front brake and that would keep me from twisting the throttle.......I understand the throttle has two cables? is it possible to turn if forward thereby creating a staring problem?

This whole thing really irks me. I am not in any way learning how to ride or race, i've done all that. I just want to enjoy riding with no drama.

I don't own a 250, I own a 450 and I am going off what it takes to start my 450. I give it 2 twists of the throttle, find TDC and give it a good strong kick from the top. Takes a couple, even when it is ice cold outside. Made the mistake one morning when it was in the 40's of twisting the throttle 4 times. No go, I kicked it for an hour and it didn't start. That is the only time since I bought it that it didn't start in a 2 or 3 kicks, cold or hot. You kick up too much fuel into the chamber, and you are done.

Twist the throttle about 3-5 times. Push the kickstarter till u find tdc... you will hear a click. Then bring the kickstarter all the way up and give it a good full kick. My 08 will only start like that... 09 is basically the same bike.

Twist the throttle about 3-5 times. Push the kickstarter till u find tdc... you will hear a click. Then bring the kickstarter all the way up and give it a good full kick. My 08 will only start like that... 09 is basically the same bike.

Pretty much what he said. Mine likes about 5 or 6 twists of the throttle when first starting for the day. If its going to sit for a while during the day I like to turn the gas off. Seems to help a little. I have to use the choke also if it sits for a while but it almost always starts in 4 or 5 kicks or less.

Another thing to check is your float level. Should be 6mm when lightly seated.

And you need to take that 188 main jet out and put in a 172. It will help with starting. Trust me thats what is in mine and has been recommended here many times. The 188 is WAY too rich. Cant remember where my fuel screw is set but I think that 1.25 isnt enough. Maybe with the 188 it is but not sure. Think mine is about 2 open.

Once you get the starting thing figured out you will really love the bike.:thumbsup:

turn the gas off while kicking or while its sitting then turn it back on? sorry for the specificity....

pretty much all good answers but just keep it two 2 twists to prime the motor:)

turn the gas off while kicking or while its sitting then turn it back on? sorry for the specificity....

Sorry I meant off while sitting. Ive forgoten to turn the gas back on when trying to start it. It will start but its no fun when it dies while your riding or going up the takeoff of a jump.:thumbsup: LOL

pretty much all good answers but just keep it two 2 twists to prime the motor:)

I twist mine 5-6 everytime and it never floods. 2 works sometimes but 5-6 seems to work better for me. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::banghead:just tried it with two twists. seemed like it wanted to fire but did nothing....grrr:banghead::thumbsup::foul:

its funny eveyone has different methods I had my engine redone head and piston if i twist the throdle 3-4 time it wont go but if i twist it about 8-10 times it will fire right up any less it seems like lots of kicks try it you have nothing to lose works for me i have an 04 crf 250

My sons 250 on a cold start (70 degree range) choke on, 2 full twists usually starts right up. If it doesnt start after 4 to 5 kicks give it another full twist. During cold weather it takes 4 to 5 full twists of throttle.

its funny eveyone has different methods I had my engine redone head and piston if i twist the throdle 3-4 time it wont go but if i twist it about 8-10 times it will fire right up any less it seems like lots of kicks try it you have nothing to lose works for me i have an 04 crf 250

Yup there all a little different. And I know Charlie will probably come on here and tell you to get rid of that 188 main jet. He swears that is part of the hard starting problem. Having the carb dialed in is a major factor.

My sons 250 on a cold start (70 degree range) choke on, 2 full twists usually starts right up. If it doesnt start after 4 to 5 kicks give it another full twist. During cold weather it takes 4 to 5 full twists of throttle.

Man I wish we could get some 70 degree days around here. It will be interesting to see if mine starts different when the weather warms up.

seems to be an escalation in twists going on:confused:

All the bike start a little differently. Mine is 2-3 pumps of the throttle, choke on, then kick slow til click kickstarter back up to top 2-3 full solid kicks. not real fast like a 2 stroke just think full powerful kicks.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned check valve clearances just to make sure they are in spec just to fully eliminate that possibility

UPDATE!!! I got it started holding in the hot start button and the throttle open a quarter. That tells me something is def wrong. It ran but i had to hold the throttle open and it ran like poop. If i let off it would die. Valves had been check and were in spec

Hmmm, I wonder if your pilot jet is a little plugged up or has some varnish built up. If you have a motorcycle shop close by try putting in a new pilot jet. You can try cleaning it but that is a waste of time. That hole is so small that even the slightest obstruction will mess it up.

Ok I went and checked mine and my fuel screw is 2.5 open. I have a 45 pilot 172 main. Just for the hell of it I tried starting it. Turned gas on pulled the choke on. 5 full twists of the throttle. Got kickstart to the top of the stroke and kicked 1 time. Didnt start. Got kicker back to the top and kicked again. It started. 2 kicks.

I see that you live in Iowa so your conditions cant be that far off from mine. Im in Omaha, NE. Its 60 degrees here today and I havnt ridden the bike since Saturday.

Open up your fuel screw to 2.5 and try it. Let me know what happens.

Sounds better but still rougn and stalls.what about the idlescrew? Moving that didnt seem to help