new guy wants opinion

So i just bought my 4th dual sport (06 drz 400s) and i am all geeked out. i do plan on riding this on the hwy to my office. the bike is all stock and i know to get the jet kit and pipe ( and i will in just in a minute) The stock gearing is 15 44 per the dealer. what have luck have people had changing to what gears for hwy. can you get away with just changing the rear. my end goal for hwy cruising is 70-75 MAX i dont want to go faster than that i just want to set the motor back a little bit.

cheers

pete

Swap the 15-tooth engine sprocket for a 16-tooth and you should be good.

I'm with pauly 16T front is good, 15T is the devil

I'm with pauly 16T front is good, 15T is the devil

:thumbsup:

have you tried the 15/44 at 70 to 75 yet?

imho, it works fine.

14/44 even works OK.

I have tried the bike up to 75mph. I wouldnt mind it here and there but i am doing like 40 miles one way sometimes. just dont want to work the bike harder than need be. they have a 41 for the rear but im not sure how far that will lower the rpm. the reason i mension this is it's easier to switch back for the all off road weekends. but if the 16 is over all easier thing to do than thats what i will do

by the way i know so little about this bike i am still trying to figure out the clock. i know i sound like "that guy"

thanks for all the help guys/gals

by the way i know so little about this bike i am still trying to figure out the clock.

lol. don't feel bad. i've rebuilt engines, rewired entire houses, and program computers for a living, but that dang clock had me swearing up a storm for weeks when i first got my DRZ. :thumbsup:

A 41-tooth rear with 15-tooth front won't work with the stock 112-link chain, at least it didn't on my bike.

hate to jump on your thread but.... I run 14-44 and its pretty good on the main roads, can sit at 75mph alright without too much strain. was thinking of changing my gearing though - without sounding like a hooligan i wanna be able to pop the front up a bit easier, any recommendations?

So i just bought my 4th dual sport (06 drz 400s) and i am all geeked out. i do plan on riding this on the hwy to my office. the bike is all stock and i know to get the jet kit and pipe ( and i will in just in a minute) The stock gearing is 15 44 per the dealer. what have luck have people had changing to what gears for hwy. can you get away with just changing the rear. my end goal for hwy cruising is 70-75 MAX i dont want to go faster than that i just want to set the motor back a little bit.

cheers

pete

First get off the tweaking and geeking, you shouldn't ride a bike high on meth or any drug! It's ok, we'll help you down! Secondly Pete, don't be so angry. I have a coach you can go to and it will settle you down! Richard Simons is a friend of ours and He will help you settle your inner sanctum! :thumbsup:

cheers

pete

I'm kinda new to the DRZ but My 09sm can do 70-75mph just fine on the freeways. maybe the S is geared differently (and if so, then change away) but I dont see any reason to change it.

DRZ engines like to rev, 16/44 saves a few revs but is doggy above 80

I'm kinda new to the DRZ but My 09sm can do 70-75mph just fine on the freeways. maybe the S is geared differently (and if so, then change away) but I dont see any reason to change it.

just in case you are curious:

stock SM gearing: 15/41

stock S gearing: 15/44

stock E gearing: 14/47

the rear wheel is smaller on the SM, though, so that effects the relative gearing between the S and SM also.