Sign in to follow this  

New clutch advice for 91 cr250

Hey guys, I think I need a new clutch in my bike. It shifts fine but the lever is really really hard to pull in. I know my way around my bike, but I haven't ever messed with the clutch before. What parts do I need and what brands are good? I'm looking to spend under $300 in parts if that is even possible (I'll probably go ebay and rocky mountain). Thanks fellas! :thumbsup:

I have had good luck with Barnett or OEM for clutch and drive plates, but for springs, stay with OEM stuff (the after markets are too heavy = stiff). A cable luber is a nice tool too, lube and or replace your clutch cable, I use white lithium lube in a spray can (for the luber).

Since I'm an off-roader I replace the aluminum drive plates with steel ones, more durable and less contamination for the trans oil. That should cover the typical wear items.

Stiff pull in your case would mean a roached clutch cable. Unless your clutch is slipping and you cant adjust it to not slip, then you need a new clutch.

I just put a brand new cable on, lubed it and everything. Didn't help, my wrist is still sore the next day after a ride. I know that clutch assembly has been in there for at least 5 years... And 3 years ago when I had the plates replaced the guy said the basket was grooved pretty bad. Would that not make it stiff to pull? Like I said before, not really any slippage though. So I'm confused why it got so hard to pull over the last few months? :thumbsup:

I'm a big guy, so don't think I'm being a wussy, it's really hard to pull. :thumbsup:

Well it the basket is grooved bad, then throw some new disks in and file the groves down. Throw some OEM clutch springs in while your at it and that should fix your problems.

Try TUSK, I did for my 90 cr250 and it pulls fine. New kit with springs, disks and plates. I didn't want to spend more so the company fit my needs.

Hey guys, what about this used basket? How badly is that grooved? New Hinson basket is about $200 and new Pro-X basket is $170, so is this a good deal? I'm also gonna go with the TUSK plates and springs (not the HD ones). Thanks for your help boys!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-cr250-cr-250-Honda-clutch-basket-assembly-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3367494b6cQQitemZ220776188780QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Hey guys, what about this used basket? How badly is that grooved? New Hinson basket is about $200 and new Pro-X basket is $170, so is this a good deal? I'm also gonna go with the TUSK plates and springs (not the HD ones). Thanks for your help boys!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-cr250-cr-250-Honda-clutch-basket-assembly-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3367494b6cQQitemZ220776188780QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Those grooves look pretty deep to me. I wouldn't do it.

Why are you refusing to replace the clutch cable? Why? Use stock Honda, nothing is as good. Period.

^^^ What George said...again.

I had race sstuff out the anus when i got my bike 91 cr 250...but i got a hinson clutch basekt off ebay like 125 shipped and i also got stock cluctch springs and a new bcable all helped alot but still a lil bit of a bear to pull but got new fore arm muscle so aint nothing but a chicken wing!

Why are you refusing to replace the clutch cable? Why? Use stock Honda, nothing is as good. Period.

What are you talking about man? I never refused to replace anything... I already said I replaced (and lubed) the clutch cable last week, with an OEM one from the Honda dealer. :thumbsup:

What are you talking about man? I never refused to replace anything... I already said I replaced (and lubed) the clutch cable last week, with an OEM one from the Honda dealer. :thumbsup:
Sorry I missed that. I apologize, especially after looking at your picture! Are you sure its routed correctly? I have been on CR250's since and none have had a hard pull.

No biggie. Yeah I routed it, and then pulled it off and re-routed it with no improvement. I know the plates are like 5 years old, and the basket is way older still. It just needs a new everything I think (though I'm hoping to avoid a new basket for a little while longer). But just for my information, can use all OEM parts with a Hinson basket?

New clutch plates and springs won't make your pull easier. In fact, if it isn't slipping, you probably shouldn't mess with it.

A notched basket usually makes the clutch engagement grabby. If the basket is notched, and it bothers you, you should replace everything as an assembly. If it was my money, I would go back with new OEM parts only. This place has killer OEM prices and free shipping over $89. http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/procaliber/Honda_OEM/HondaDB.asp

check your cable routing and make sure your cable is lubed really good, take it off the leaver, hold it straight up and spray cable lube down it. My clutch was so hard to pull i couldnt ride tight stuff for more than 20 minutes, i had a brand new cable too. I just lubed it and routed it so it had the straightest possible loop now its as easy as a ktm to pull, well maybe not that easy but im 150 pounds and can pull it with 1 finger. I used to have to use at least 3.

check your cable routing and make sure your cable is lubed really good, take it off the leaver, hold it straight up and spray cable lube down it. My clutch was so hard to pull i couldnt ride tight stuff for more than 20 minutes, i had a brand new cable too. I just lubed it and routed it so it had the straightest possible loop now its as easy as a ktm to pull, well maybe not that easy but im 150 pounds and can pull it with 1 finger. I used to have to use at least 3.

Yeah I bought one of those cable luber tools and some Champion lube. Soaked the crap out of it...nothing. I'm 200 pounds and pretty strong but it takes 4 fingers to pull it after 30 minutes of riding, and my wrist and forearm tendons are sore the next day... Kinda takes the fun of riding... :confused:

So the only thing that makes a tough pull is the cable? The springs etc. have no impact on that? Thanks so much for the help guys!! :thumbsup:

Springs do have an impact but I have had several open 2sts with stiff springs over the years and have never had the problem you describe. Even with my Maicos which had a very stiff, unusual spring system. With all you have mentioned, I am stumped.

it may have slightly stiffer springs than stock, mine does but like i said i can still pull it with one finger