Sign in to follow this  

'05 450x SM conversion - wheel spacer woes

Hi guys and gals,

I have been converting my '05 CRF450X over to become a supermoto machine. My current project is to replace the wheels, sprocket and brake rotors with a Warp 9 SM conversion kit I purchased.

Not all is going well, however. When attempting to mount the front wheel this morning it seems that I don't have the right spacers to complete the job. I am wondering if the stock spacers are needed to make this work. I have NOT tried the rear wheel yet...I thought I'd start in the front and work my way back. I'm guessing I'll have the same challenge out back.

I currently have a set of DNA MX wheels on the bike, and the spacers used in front are for that wheel set and are too large in diameter to fit the Warp 9 wheel. I don't use the stock tripmeter because I have a TrailTech Vapor.

Anyone have experience with this? I either do not possess or can't find the stock spacers, despite the fact that I still have the stock rims (I know...it stinks). SO, if stock spacers are needed I will have to locate some and shell out some cash.

I will edit this post with pics tomorrow AM. Right now the wife is badgering me to run to the store.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

Not familiar with the Warp 9's, but I'm wondering if they were designed for an "R" axle. My DNA's were like that. I was able to make it work with the X axle, but I had the right side inset a little bit within the fork in order to accommodate the lack of speedo gear (I also run a vapor). I eventually bought an R axle off ebay for $10.

The R axle has a longer "shoulder" on it to fill in the space where the speedo gear would be. You think it would fit with the R axle?

missed the part about missing stock spacers - I think that's your problem.

Per motostrano's site:

Warp 9 wupermoto wheels are sold complete with no other hardware required and ready to mount except your stock hardware. Stock spacers are required for this kit. You must have your stock, OEM spacers for this wheelset. Extra spacers are not provided.

Plenty of aftermarket and used cheap spacers on ebay!

if the warp 9's are made for 450R heres what you need to do. use your 450x axle, the stock 450x rotor side spacer on the rotor side, and ANOTHER rotor side spacer where the odometer would normally be....the rotor side spacers are 10 bucks each from honda...

now, this is to go from stock 450x to a 450r style wheel...maybe the dna wheels you have before used different parts?

If you had/have stock rear 450x spacers and axle, an R style wheel will bolt right in.

Thanks for the great feedback. I broke out the ol' digital caliper and measured the stock hub, the DNA MX hub and the new Warp 9 SM hub. You guys called it...the Warp 9 and stockers have the same dimensions. Interestingly, the DNA wheels have a larger diamater spacer.

And thank you for the tip about doubling up on the front rotor-side spacer. Parts are on order, so I'll post a conclusion (and pics) once the new wheels are successfully mounted.

hope it works for you! I think the key will be whether you ordered from warp 9 an R or an X wheelset.

And to be fair, i got the spacer info from JohnnyAirTime here...I got some used Factory pro racing sm wheels and was at a bit of a loss and he helped me out

you need a stock set of spacers and a CRF450R axle

That's what I was thinkin too. All can be picked up on ebay for cheap.

Okay, so here's how it played out if you're curious...

450X axle, and TWO front caliper-side spacers make up the front configuration.

450X axle, and stock R/X spacers in back.

Whew...thanks guys and gals.

CRFXSMWheels1.jpg

CRFXSMWheels3.jpg

Okay, so here's how it played out if you're curious...

450X axle, and TWO front caliper-side spacers make up the front configuration.

450X axle, and stock R/X spacers in back.

Whew...thanks guys and gals.

CRFXSMWheels1.jpg

CRFXSMWheels3.jpg

Tighten your chain before you hurt someone.

Tighten your chain before you hurt someone.

Funny you mention that...I had a bet over here as to whether an astute viewer would notice that.

The MX wheel had a 51 tooth sprocket, and the SM wheel has a 44 toother. Obviously, even at full extension on the adjusters the chain is way too long.

I was going to do some forum research before posting a new thread...but clearly I need to either buy a new chain or get a breaker tool and a new master link to shore things up back there.

Do you have an opinion either way on that? Chain is stock from Honda.

I just shortened my stock chain a few links - can't remember exactly how many. What rear tire are you running? I had my wheel dished a little to the right and I get slight rubbing with a contiforce sm 150. I have that same front fender too :thumbsup:

I just shortened my stock chain a few links - can't remember exactly how many. What rear tire are you running?

Continental Contiforce SM 150/60-17...just like yours. Current chain is too loose to even see if there's a rubbing issue.

I reached out to Chad at Sprocket Center, and they recommended a DID 520VT2 chain because it's a bit narrower. I was considering that route, but I like your idea of using the stock chain (less $$$).

I have never shortened a chain before...where did you find a master link for the stock chain (which, I'm told, is a DID 520MXV 114 link)?

Oh, and awesome job on the X dude.:thumbsup:

Hey, thank you!

I am about to attempt the impossible: Plating it in the great-ish state of California. If I succeed, virtual drinks are on me. If I fail, well, drinks will be IN me.

Hey, thank you!

I am about to attempt the impossible: Plating it in the great-ish state of California. If I succeed, virtual drinks are on me. If I fail, well, drinks will be IN me.

Good luck on the plate in CA.

LOVE the red wheels.

Continental Contiforce SM 150/60-17...just like yours. Current chain is too loose to even see if there's a rubbing issue.

I reached out to Chad at Sprocket Center, and they recommended a DID 520VT2 chain because it's a bit narrower. I was considering that route, but I like your idea of using the stock chain (less $$$).

I have never shortened a chain before...where did you find a master link for the stock chain (which, I'm told, is a DID 520MXV 114 link)?

You know, I honestly can't remember if the stock chain was staked or had a clip link. I *thought* it just had a clip link. If so, I probably removed the master link, figured out how many links I needed to remove (maybe two?) and took a die grinder to the pin and pressed it out somehow (can't remember what I used). There are better tools for the job, but I didn't have them :confused:

A bike shop probably wouldn't charge you too much if you could just bring the chain to them.

You could also run a non-oring chain for more clearance. I did this for many thousands of miles on my DRZ. They do require a bit more maintenance and don't seem to last as long, but they're cheaper as well :thumbsup:

Another option is a chain slider. A few people makes these and I may get around to getting one.

You're gonna love the tarded X. Mine looks a lot like yours, but with the red rear fender. Good luck on getting it plated.

Nice X, good luck on the plate. You might also want to route your front brake line to the inside the fork guard.

Stock chain has no link.

DO NOT use a chain breaker to split a link on a high-end chain, you will damage the chain, unless it is a PitPosse type heavy duty breakers. Still best to grind.

Use the chain breaker ONLY to push out the pin, once you have ground the end off with a disc grinder or similar.

(DD)

UPDATE

Exciting news this week. After MANY trials and tribulations (from clogged carbs to questionable wiring), my X now has a CA plate! Here's a photo of it snapped in the wild.

:eek::banana::smirk:

Time to put some miles on it!

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it!

CRFinthewild.jpg