Allen size for front wheel

or a better question, what size bolt and nuts do I need to make a tool to remove my front axel?

2004 YZ250F

What? You need wrenches to remove the wheel dude. 8mm, 10mm, and 7/8" socket for the axle.

I think he means for the hex inside the end of the axle so you can spin the axle. I made my own with a big bolt and two nuts just like you are thinking of doing. I believe the hex head is 19mm if I am remembering correctly.

Take a plug socket with a hex on it. Put your extension on backwards and presto you have a 19mm allen socket.

You do not need a big allen wrench to hold the axle. Just lightly pinch the axle clamp and the axle will not spin while you torque the 22mm nut.

You do not need a big allen wrench to hold the axle. Just lightly pinch the axle clamp and the axle will not spin while you torque the 22mm nut.

Correct, but spinning the axle is the easiest and most effective way to center the right fork. Much faster and easier than taking the bike off the stand, pushing up and down on the forks, then putting it back up on the stand.

Thanks all, I need new rubba and haven't pulled the wheels since I bought it last fall.

Correct, but spinning the axle is the easiest and most effective way to center the right fork. Much faster and easier than taking the bike off the stand, pushing up and down on the forks, then putting it back up on the stand.

Can you explain this? I've been doing it the other way for years. You/ve sparked my curiousity!:thumbsup:

Can you explain this? I've been doing it the other way for years. You/ve sparked my curiousity!:thumbsup:

If you spin the axle, the right fork leg will center itself, so instead of taking the bike off the stand and pushing up and down on the forks, you can just spin the axle a few times. They sell a hex shaped tool that goes in the end of the axle and then you can put a wrench on for this purpose, but you can make your own with a bolt and nuts.

When I put a front wheel on I put the axle through, then start the nut on the left end. Then I hold the nut with a wrench and spin the axle into it, this tightens the nut while keeping the right fork lug centered. Then once the nut is snug I torque it, then tighten the pinch bolts.

Bud, just keep the 4 pinch bolts tight there's two on each fork right next to eachother and just use 22mm socket or adjustable wrench and loosen the nut then loosen pinch bolts and pop out the axle, front wheel comes off and always a good practice to put waterproof grease on the axle and the wheel bearings prior to installing again

If you spin the axle, the right fork leg will center itself, so instead of taking the bike off the stand and pushing up and down on the forks, you can just spin the axle a few times. They sell a hex shaped tool that goes in the end of the axle and then you can put a wrench on for this purpose, but you can make your own with a bolt and nuts.

When I put a front wheel on I put the axle through, then start the nut on the left end. Then I hold the nut with a wrench and spin the axle into it, this tightens the nut while keeping the right fork lug centered. Then once the nut is snug I torque it, then tighten the pinch bolts.

Interesting, thanks for explaining it! :thumbsup: