Sign in to follow this  

anyone plated a 500 smoker?

Just a pipe dream of mine... here in Ohio would probably still be do-able provided I could secure a title. I know it would be impractible at best, having to calculate premix at the pump for one, but how much fun would it be?? Having owned and ridden many 70s two strokes on the street (rds and triples) I think it would be a blast.

I would kill myself the first time I took it offroad. I barely survived the 70s riding on my friends RM400. I can't imagine what a CRF500 or a Maico 490 would be like.

Check out the super moto forum their are a few of them. i had one but sold it a few months back

I have a 95 CR500 and I had it street legal (when I lived in the SanFran area)

Basicly, they SUCK as a "street" bike, after 10min the vib's get bad and its no fun at highway speeds unless you regear it (then 1st gear is useless).

I also hated leaving it anywhere, without a key ign and just a lock through the sprocket I never felt "safe".....

Mixing oil at the pump is real easy, I used a baby bottle because its marked down to 1/8 oz and I made a chart that told me how much oil to mix that went down to 1/8 of a gal ....... TURN the gas off when you add the oil, then start the bike (still gas off) and bounce up/down on the bike to mix it up then turn gas on. Otherwise the oil will sink to the bottom and you will foul a plug real quick and have a carb full of oil.

I bought a XR650L ........ way better IMO

I have a 95 CR500 and I had it street legal (when I lived in the SanFran area)

Basicly, they SUCK as a "street" bike, after 10min the vib's get bad and its no fun at highway speeds unless you regear it (then 1st gear is useless).

I also hated leaving it anywhere, without a key ign and just a lock through the sprocket I never felt "safe".....

Mixing oil at the pump is real easy, I used a baby bottle because its marked down to 1/8 oz and I made a chart that told me how much oil to mix that went down to 1/8 of a gal ....... TURN the gas off when you add the oil, then start the bike (still gas off) and bounce up/down on the bike to mix it up then turn gas on. Otherwise the oil will sink to the bottom and you will foul a plug real quick and have a carb full of oil.

I bought a XR650L ........ way better IMO

I have to agree not the greatest street bike

I have two!:thumbsup:

[

Lucky!!!:confused:

To the extent that I used to ride a CR 80, and later an RMX250 around on the back roads when I was a kid, a 500 sure would be sweet to tool around town on:ride:

There's nothing like it!

With proper jetting and gearing, a CR500 will go down the road almost like a 4 stroke...that is until you twist the throttle.:thumbsup: No excessive part throttle shuddering, etc. Mixing gas at the gas station is not that big of a deal and only takes a minute longer than filling up your 4 stroke if you have a decent system.

Installing a keyed ignition is simple too as they are available from anyone that sells dual sport conversion kits. I have a keyed Pro Cycle dual sport kit on my woods CR500. The entire kit took an afternoon to install and was all plug and play.

I actually sold my DR-Z400S and never looked back. Having a plated CR500 for the woods made the DR-Z kind of pointless. The DR-Z was about 100 pounds heavier than my CR500 and made half the power. CR500 engines are rediculously reliable and super simple to maintain.

Besides, the confused looks on people's faces as they see me going down the road on a CR500 in full dirt gear is priceless!:confused:

I have a plated restored 1984 RM500 in WA state. I have not rode it on the road and I am not sure I want too. But with supermoto tires it might be fun.

I've got a (CA.) plated 2001 CR 5Hundy....

Not a light, turn signal, horn...etc on the thing. Setup strictly for Glamis right now.

(sorry, no picture... it's just a 500 :smashpc:)

Here's my old '96....

Cr500-ad.jpg

Cr500-ac.jpg

Hey Mikey,

If your still into this( I see the thread is old) it's easy in Ohio. Since you don't have a title now just tell them it's street legal, get your title and plate, then buy a DS kit . They don't care at the BMV. It's the police job to catch and fine you.

But since you have the XR I'd say it's really not worth it.

thanks guys for the info. I've just returned to college and will be there for quite a few more years, so money is going to be really tight :smashpc: I still have my old RD 400, and it's fun to come shooting out of corners on the pipe, but it doesn't have the sharp powerband of a dirt bike. Hopefully by the time I can afford one the laws will still be just as lax. Ohio seems to do everything "last" so chances are good.

Untill 2008 all I rode was 2 strokes and I plated them all. From 406 to 200cc and rode enduros and DS rides.

I marked a small bottle of oil to add to fuel when I bought gas at gas stations. No big deal realy, I just ran the gas in first so I would know how much oil to add and just poored it in ontop.

I think DSing a KX or CR 500 will be cheaper than the other 500cc two smoker i've been lusting after for a long time... although it wouldn't make 80 hp like this bike... the mighty Yamaha RZ 500, V4 two stroke!

I think DSing a KX or CR 500 will be cheaper than the other 500cc two smoker i've been lusting after for a long time... although it wouldn't make 80 hp like this bike... the mighty Yamaha RZ 500, V4 two stroke!

actually they (CR/KX) COULD and would be a HELL OF A LOT EASIER TO REBUILD/FIND PARTS FOR !!! :busted: but i will say GOOD TASTE IN 2T's !! :bonk::lol::busted: (yzr500 ;))

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7PRFA_en&biw=1280&bih=904&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=UZWgI_zIWK9U0M:&imgrefurl=http://www.hydrotoys.com/fz1/wynns/index.html&docid=s77f4eCxBMaJKM&imgurl=http://www.hydrotoys.com/fz1/wynns/Rightrear.JPG&w=640&h=480&ei=VhmyTrL8IqKe2wXsmODIAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=156&sig=109897400243530046618&page=1&tbnh=171&tbnw=194&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0&tx=101&ty=69