Chain question

My buddy the other day broke his chain one link too short and he was wondering if he can put the one link back on and press the pin for the link so it can't fall out. I told to buy a new chain. Do you think that it will work fine or will it just break when he rides it.

i think you need to find some smarter riding buddies

I take it the wheel is all the way forward. if not do that. I wouldn't recommend pressing that link back in. it could break loose and end in a bad day or end up stranded really far away from the truck. tell your buddy to always measure twice and cut once it will save you time and money in the long run.

Do what everyone else said, or cut 1 more link off, and add a link between another master link and the original master link.

Broken chains have a nasty habit of busting legs and crank cases. Both of which are very expensive to fix.

If you can't move the wheel further forward I'd do what SPX mentioned above, add a second master link.

Do what everyone else said, or cut 1 more link off, and add a link between another master link and the original master link.

I have been running a chain like this for nearly a year, been good so far

theres a tool to press the side plates on if you do that YOU MUST PEEN THE ENDS OF THE PINS use a punch or a ball peen hammer ( the dome looking side) thats the only way to add a link it works but you have to do a legit job peening it

I have been running a chain like this for nearly a year, been good so far

same here (well, few months). 2 master links on one of my crf450's. I prefer the rivit style links, but had a spare clip link and working fine. NEED to be the correct master link! As in not all 520 size links are the same, some are wider than others, some have larger pin diameters, etc..

Love these thread titles ".. working on my budies bike.. " LOL :thumbsup: Ok, some might be, but most for whatever reason some are just emarrased to say ".. I am working on my bike, and i did this.. "