Sign in to follow this  

upgrading bike need help choosing

hi im looking to upgrade from my crf 230 (i kno some say ***** bike) but i am looking for a bigger bike. im 5 9' and 15 years old i have been riding bikes for years so im pretty good at it. i was lookin at the ktm sx-f 350 but i dont kno if that bike is good for me i ride trails, not all of them are wide open so i ned a bike that has good handling. also i wasnt sure if the 450's would be to big for me i prefer honda and ktm but tell me what you guys think.

thanks

A 450 may be a little bit overwhelming. A 250f would feel a lot more powerful than a 230. Look at: CRF 250(r or x). The x is built for trails but the R is about 20lbs lighter and faster. Or look at a 250 xcf-w or just the xcf. Both are built for trails, but the xcf is more built more for a combination - mx and trails.

A 450 may be a little bit overwhelming. A 250f would feel a lot more powerful than a 230. Look at: CRF 250(r or x). The x is built for trails but the R is about 20lbs lighter and faster. Or look at a 250 xcf-w or just the xcf. Both are built for trails, but the xcf is more built more for a combination - mx and trails.

I agree with TR27, you might also consider a KTM200 or KDX200. The KTM200 has similar peak power to the 250F's, but lighter and more nimble. I would consider the 200 an advantage in the woods, and the 250F an advantage on a MX track

It depends on what kind of riding you are doing. Personally at your age I would suggest a 2stroke 125. It will have more power, better suspension, and lighter than your CRF230. It will also teach good techniques that will stay with you as you progress on your riding.

If not a 125 I would suggest a 250F. It will be lots of fun but also tends to make riders lazy.

I don't think I would put a 15 year old on a 450 or even a 250 2 stroke. just my .02

im a bit older than you,but after a long layoff from 2 wheels{had a tw200 but dosent really count lol}i bought a crf230 thought it would be perfect...was bored in like 2 weeks lol,i now own a crf250x with the ccc mods done to it,great suspention good power and weighs about the same as your crf230 just my .02

i agree with most of the stuff stated here...

no to the 450 wayyyy to much power. esp. comming off a 230

350s still too big and too much so i wudnt go there either

id look into 250f's wutever brand ur interested in ktm makes a xcf, yamaha makes a wr, honda makes a x...they will have plenty balls for you and u will thank us...

another good idea is a small bore 2 smoke, very fast,quick,nimble... 200 150 125 whatever...just dont go over a 200

okay thanks guys i have been lookin at the crf250's they look like a good bike i also been lookin at KTM's 250 but i am hearin mixed reviews about KTM, also i think i want to stick with 4strokes because i dont ride in the most legal places haha unless i could put a silencer pipe on a 2stroke... and do u think i would fit on a 250f alrite thee like 39 inches aveage and im 5 9'

well theres no other seat heigth to jump too...its either a 250f or a 125...both are same heights and they are also the same size as 450s and 250 smokers jsut weight differnces

Depends on what's done to the 250f, but if its stock than a 2 smoker is probably going to be faster. A 250f is waaaay more controlable than 250 2stroke and proabaly a better bike for you

okay thanks guys i have been lookin at the crf250's they look like a good bike i also been lookin at KTM's 250 but i am hearin mixed reviews about KTM, also i think i want to stick with 4strokes because i dont ride in the most legal places haha unless i could put a silencer pipe on a 2stroke... and do u think i would fit on a 250f alrite thee like 39 inches aveage and im 5 9'

KTM 250 XCF is a four stroke. KTM 250 XC is a 2 stroke. Yes you can put a silencer and spark arrestor on a 2 stroke and 2 strokes are usually quiter than 4 strokes anyway. Anyone who gives a bad reveiw of a newer KTM is not being honest. They are good bikes no if's ands or buts about it.

KTM 250 XCF is a four stroke. KTM 250 XC is a 2 stroke. Yes you can put a silencer and spark arrestor on a 2 stroke and 2 strokes are usually quiter than 4 strokes anyway. Anyone who gives a bad reveiw of a newer KTM is not being honest. They are good bikes no if's ands or buts about it.

Haha I have some buddys that like to give me crap about my ktm, but you get a little fire water in them and the truth starts to come out, they'll admit they want one all night :thumbsup:

My buddy is selling a 07 ktm 250sxf in ri if you want to test out a really good 250f, I almost drank to koolaid after riding it.

(pm me how much you want for your 230)

i actully have been lookin at the sxf250 but alot of guys at my work talk shit bout them, but i dont care i would still love to own one

I'm the first on to talk smack about them, but his surprisingly wasn't to far off from my yz250 in the straights, and it is one of the best handling bikes I've ever been on.

(Here's his add if your interested) I think he's priced a little high, but he's got his eyes on a new street legal 2t so he can be chewed down.

http://providence.craigslist.org/mcy/2351216225.html

Still interested in that 230 of yours if your looking to sell it.

KTM's are awsome I give my buddy shit about his because he talks smack about my YZ250F. He is always quoting magazine reveiws about how my bike has a crapy motor. "Motocross Action said...." is all I ever hear from that guy. The univers realigns when I blow by him on every track or trail we go to. Truth is I got my bike brand for 4900 otd and that is the main reason I bought a YZ instead of a KTM. I honestly can't say I feel one is better than the other and I have ridden them both a lot.

i am actully tryin to sell it now so give me your email and i can send you some pics of it if you want. its a really nice looking bike