FMF fatty or SST with Power core2 or Shorty?

Hi everyone i have a 1999 yz125 and it lacks bottom end power really bad and then slams the powerband hard, i really have to wind it out due to the fact that it still has a stock piston, after i rebuild it shortly, i am going to be looking for exhaust, i mainly ride in wide open fields, with some jumps here and there, im looking for an exhaust that is going to extremely help the bottom and mid range power and give the top end a little more kick, i greatly appreciate any help Thank you

looking for an exhaust that is going to extremely help the bottom and mid range power and give the top end a little more kick

I'm no expert but I think you'll need to pick one....or maybe two from the above sentence but not all three. From your field riding seems like more top end would be best.

If you were doing a lot of trails with twists and turns I'd go for more bottom and mid. Let us know what you are really after which will make answering your question easier.

You're riding a 125, not gonna get much bottom end regardless. Ride it like you're supposed to, row that gearbox, fan the clutch, and keep it on the pipe. I'd recommend the Fatty over the SST for 1 simple reason, the outlet stinger on the Fatty is the same as the stock pipe, so you can run whatever silencer you want. The SST has a unique design that only works with the matching SST silencer.

I continue to be impressed with the amount of knowledge TT members have.....learn something every time I check out ThumperTalk.

ihave a shorty with sst, it SUCKS.250 2 stroke with no bottom end.

i put fatty on my rm125 and re jetted. it sucked. so idk, 125s a pretty gutless on low end no matter what. its like a 85 got to wind them out. you could try gearing though

You might need to play with your jetting, or you might need a top end. The SST is a good pipe, and the Shorty should help bottom end. What year/make is your 250?

Also maybe look into a pro circuit platniunm with the shorty. I heard that will add some bottom.

But still like everyone said its still a 125, it wonthave much bottom end gain. Also maybe try messing around with the sprocket ratios.

IF you want more bottom then i would either go one tooth down in the front sprocket or 2 in the rear. But by dropping one tooth in the front is like adding 3 teeth in the rear sprocket.

i put fatty on my rm125 and re jetted. it sucked. so idk, 125s a pretty gutless on low end no matter what. its like a 85 got to wind them out. you could try gearing though

Hey if you want some awseome bottom end, then i had Pro circuit platinum 2 with the Pro Circuit shorty and you want to talk about bottom end. Im like 195lbs and the bike would stand up in 1st and 2nd gear at almost an idle. And plus te platinum 2 has thicker gauge metal to reduce denting

BTW i had a sst with the stock silencer and it was junk. Also i thought the sst was more of a revver pipe than a Bottom end pipe?

Also i thought the sst was more of a revver pipe than a Bottom end pipe?

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be FMF's "best" all around for MX/SX. Nice meaty mid range with decent over rev. Keep in mind that a 2-stroke pipe is all about compromise. You can't improve across the board due to how they're shaped to maximize the sound/pressure waves for a specific RPM range. A good bottom end pipe like the Gnarly will hurt top end, the Rev pipe is all about top-end, but kills bottom. The Fatty and SST are mid-range pipes that don't hurt much on either end of the powerband.

the engine is a 06 yz250 for mine but the 04 frame, i still have stock jetting. i got it like this though i checked it out. im just looking for a stockpipe

the engine is a 06 yz250 for mine but the 04 frame, i still have stock jetting. i got it like this though i checked it out. im just looking for a stockpipe

That bike should have decent bottom end (for a 2-stroke). The YZ motor (basically the same that last 7-8 years is a good motor. When was the last time you did a top end? When a smoker loses compression, it loses bottom end, but still runs good on top.

The stock pipe is pretty hard to be against any other aftermarket.

You're riding a 125, not gonna get much bottom end regardless. Ride it like you're supposed to, row that gearbox, fan the clutch, and keep it on the pipe. I'd recommend the Fatty over the SST for 1 simple reason, the outlet stinger on the Fatty is the same as the stock pipe, so you can run whatever silencer you want. The SST has a unique design that only works with the matching SST silencer.

false, the sst fits other silencers.