2011 seized shock ring

tried to adjust the sag on my new 450 and the adjusting ring on shock was seized .took shock to dealer and they said they have seen this before and yamaha knows this happening.they took some picture and sent them to yamaha and told me yamaha should tell them what they are going to do in a couple days.

i never knew a new bike comes with 30 days of factory warranty and ive had mine for 20 days.

so your get a new bike make sure the ring spins on the shock.

this does suck cause i bought a new bike to not have problems and here we go.

shop said shock body would be about 2wks out .

ill keep you posted on out come

bike had less then 10 hrs ,i went to adjust the sag and the ring moved about one turn then got stuck ,it wouldnt turn forward or back.took shock off and spring and nothing was so pissed cause a new shock body is 600.00. hopefully yours is fine.

none of the threads i can see were damaged the locking ring spun right off and moves freely up the shock.not sure why this happened dealer says he's seen it before and yamaha must know too or they wouldnt be replaceing it.

cant remembeer if thte first year of the fuel inject was the 2011 model or 2010/, but thats a reason why i do not buy a first year of a new design of a bike, 2nd year comes around most of the problems are worked out, first year people are like test subjects ha ha

cant remembeer if thte first year of the fuel inject was the 2011 model or 2010/, but thats a reason why i do not buy a first year of a new design of a bike, 2nd year comes around most of the problems are worked out, first year people are like test subjects ha ha
Since the 2011 is the second year issue of the Gen3 YZ450, and the shock ring problem has existed since 2010, I'd say your logic has been shot down on both counts.

Besides, Yamaha has a pretty good record with first year bikes.

And on top of that, yamaha has had single shock suspensions with adjustable shock rings for quite a few years now, it didn't just introduce it on these "new" models...?

Since the 2011 is the second year issue of the Gen3 YZ450, and the shock ring problem has existed since 2010, I'd say your logic has been shot down on both counts.

Besides, Yamaha has a pretty good record with first year bikes.

Grey, have you heard of a lot of people with this problem? Both 10 and 11? And if so do you know what the problem is with it? Are the threads damaged some how?

It's been mentioned here on the board a few times, but not excessively often. Without having had a close up look at the situation, I'd say that the rings themselves are where the problem is. It seems most likely that the steel or the plating is incompatible with the shock body and forms a bond to it as the cad plating on a lot of screws does with aluminum cases. When turned under pressure, one material or the other "balls up" in the threads and jams them. Turning it the other way jams it worse, like a car stuck in the sand.

To avoid it, I would spray the shock body above the threads with a strong penetrating oil that contains moly or graphite before I attempted to loosen the rings. Once the lock ring is loose, remove the shock, measure the installed spring length so it doesn't take so long to reset your sag, spray the adjuster ring, and remove the spring. Dry the shock off and rub some dry graphite into the threads and then run the adjuster ring up and down over the area where it usually sits a few times. Then reassemble it. Also be sure that the ring doesn't feel too loose on the shock threads when it's just screwed onto them with no load.

i had this happen on my 10. went to ace hardware for a thread cleaner file, cost a few bucks. back in my garage and bout an hour of elbow labor and a new lock collar and new adjusting nut and it spibs freely.sry, yes my threads were damaged, i actually had to cut the ring off it was crooked

i had this happen on my 10. went to ace hardware for a thread cleaner file, cost a few bucks. back in my garage and bout an hour of elbow labor and a new lock collar and new adjusting nut and it spibs freely.sry, yes my threads were damaged, i actually had to cut the ring off it was crooked

Glad to see you were able to get it to work.. Hope if I run into this problem I can get it to work without having to buy a new one.

mine is dented to.seems like some people have had luck with cutting the ring off and filling the damaged threads .i would take it to a local suspension shop and talk to them.if you strip or f-up your shock body a new one is 700.00.