Floor Material For Bike Trailer?

What is the most suitable floor material for a bike trailer?

Here the options I see:

• Steel Checker plate
  • Alimumum Checker Plate
  • Galvanised Checker plate
  • Thick wire mesh.

I want to be able to walk on the trailer and must support 2 bikes (KTM 300 and KDX220).

The trailer is being left outside, so it must have good resistance to corrosion.

What are your recommendations for material choice and thickness and reasons for your choice?

Thank you

Byte

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Chickenhauler.

Out of the Ali and Galv, what would be better to weld onto my subframe - which consists of steel channel sections?

Is it possible to weld Ali to steel without electroylsis or any other adverse reaction happening?

What treatment of the Galv woudl need to occur to achieve good weld of the galv to the steel sub-frame?

Byte

Thanks Chickenhauler.

Out of the Ali and Galv, what would be better to weld onto my subframe - which consists of steel channel sections?

Is it possible to weld Ali to steel without electroylsis or any other adverse reaction happening?

What treatment of the Galv woudl need to occur to achieve good weld of the galv to the steel sub-frame?

Byte

I'm not a pro welder, (just a hack farmer with a stick welder), but out of those two, I'd use the galvanized, but be very careful, the fumes are highly toxic.

What is the most suitable floor material for a bike trailer?

Here the options I see:

• Steel Checker plate
  • Alimumum Checker Plate
  • Galvanised Checker plate
  • Thick wire mesh.

I want to be able to walk on the trailer and must support 2 bikes (KTM 300 and KDX220).

The trailer is being left outside, so it must have good resistance to corrosion.

What are your recommendations for material choice and thickness and reasons for your choice?

Thank you

Byte

How about "expanded metal", its a grate looking surface, lots of holes. Strong and you can wash the bikes on the trailer, dirt runs on the ground.

Here is a link to give you an idea:

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/expanded

But any metal source wil have it.

Thanks Chickenhauler.

Byte

I dont think you can weld galvi, I think its a mess. It may have to be galvied after its welded on????

toyota_mdt_tech - great idea. i will have a look.

i am wanting to install the Risk Racing Lock-N-Load Moto Transport System on this trailer.

Is this floor material still able to provide a solid mount point?

Can the local area for the weld be ground or treated in some way?

Byte

toyota_mdt_tech - great idea. i will have a look.

i am wanting to install the Risk Racing Lock-N-Load Moto Transport System on this trailer.

Is this floor material still able to provide a solid mount point?

Can the local area for the weld be ground or treated in some way?

Byte

There is a cold galvanizing you can spray on. I know Home Depot sells it. I have used it in chain link fence top rail where I had to bend it with a torch to make a wide radiused turn, and of course, I burnt off all the galvanizing. I sprayed it with the cold galvanizing and its been 15 yrs, no rust. Its nto as durable as hot galvanizing, but one option. As for attatching the expanded metal, just little tack welds, but lots of them, at each spot along the edges.

...Is this floor material still able to provide a solid mount point?...

Depends on the type you get. Many is solid as steel, others are a little more flexible/flimsy, but will be much lighter. Many "cat walks" are made from thsi stuff and as solid as solid steel. Or you can go with the lighter stuff and support your mounts underneath by adding extra support so it wil be strong, but overall, still use the lighter expanded metal.

Byte, for the Lock n Load you'll want to mount those to some sort of cross member on the trailer frame, NOT the floor substraight. If your trailer doesn't have a floor, you should weld in some steel angle supports for the Lock n Load, THEN cover the floor with whatever material, THEN install the L n L through the flooring and cross member.

THanks for reply.

Here are some pictures of my bike trailer:

th_IMG_2236.jpg

th_IMG_2230.jpg

th_IMG_2231.jpg

I am going to remove and discard those C-Profile Bike Tracks you see on top of the subframe.

I want to cover this subframe with galvanised steel checker plate (most likely).

If I have the steel checker plate welded to the subframe, can I mount the Lock 'n Load to the steel checker plate?

Byte

Edited by Byte