Sign in to follow this  

2000-2003 Toyota Tundra Opinions?

I am looking for a new truck and have come across a good deal on a 2000 Toyota Tundra. I know the 2000-2003 models are very similar but also had the frame rust issue. This truck has a new frame and everything else that went along with the Toyota replacing the frame, done last year on this truck. My question is how is the truck overall? I test drove it and it was a very smooth ride with plenty of power. The truck is the SR5 access cab with 4wd and the 4.7L V8 with a hair over 115,000 miles. Any serious issues to look for or common problems? I really liked the truck but I am looking for something to last me a few years that should not have any serious repair bills down the line.

Great truck. Make sure the timing belt and water pump where replaced at the 90K mark, its an interference engine (assuming its the V8) otherwise, good to go.

Thanks for the reply. When it was down for the frame it got a new timing set, water pump, full Bilstein shock set, aftermarket headers, new cat, and a few other things. The truck sounds solid and looked solid, paint was just a little rough. I have read of brake issues but this truck also has the newer Tundra brake set, larger rotors and such. I am just not familiar with the Toyota V8 or automatic transmissions and want to make sure they should not be a problem.

Thanks for the reply. When it was down for the frame it got a new timing set, water pump, full Bilstein shock set, aftermarket headers, new cat, and a few other things. The truck sounds solid and looked solid, paint was just a little rough. I have read of brake issues but this truck also has the newer Tundra brake set, larger rotors and such. I am just not familiar with the Toyota V8 or automatic transmissions and want to make sure they should not be a problem.

Bullet proof powertrain. As for brakes, they did do a caliper change. It requires a new backing plate, but only because Toyota wouldnt let us snip out 1/4" with tin shears. But easy for you to do. As for rear brakes, we would install the rear drums from a 99 4Runner, same diameter, but had more mass (weight/iron). We couldnt do this officially as it was crash tested/certified with the lighter rear drums. :thumbsup:

I have an 03 with 63k miles with no issues...runs great has lots of power but i only get about 17mpg on a good day with it (6 in lift and 33"s