KX100 sprocket combo help

I've search and have read a lot on the KX100 but I'm confused. I ride strictly woods and no MX. I want to be able to climb rocky and muddy hills better. I'm doing fine as is but on the steeper hills I'm finding that my rear wheel is spinning to much and I get don't get anywhere. My bike is a 2003 and it is all stock. What else should I do to make it more trail worthy?

Do I get a smaller, 12 tooth, front sprocket or a larger tooth rear sprocket? From what I've read, some say leave the stock rear and just change out the front for a 12 tooth. Then I have read, leave the front as is and go up a few teeth in the rear? Which is it or is it do both? So, if I do change out whatever, do i also need a new chain?

Thanks in advance.

you can do either, they both do the same thing. going larger in the front would be the same as going smaller in the rear as well, its all about the final drive ratio. to find that, divide the number of rear sprocket teeth by the number of front teeth. its usually easier to change the front, its less work, and you wont have the possibility of needing a longer chain, its also much cheaper. but, its harder on the chain and offers less adjustability (larger jumps in ratio) 1 tooth in the front is roughly equal to 3 in the rear

you can do either, they both do the same thing. going larger in the front would be the same as going smaller in the rear as well, its all about the final drive ratio. to find that, divide the number of rear sprocket teeth by the number of front teeth. its usually easier to change the front, its less work, and you wont have the possibility of needing a longer chain, its also much cheaper. but, its harder on the chain and offers less adjustability (larger jumps in ratio) 1 tooth in the front is roughly equal to 3 in the rear

Thanks for the explanation. My whole setup looks worn so I am going to get a new rear sprocket and chain. Also, maybe some reeds.

to make it climb better add a flywheel weight along with the sprocket change. i went with an 8oz and made a big diff.