Help me decide which bike to use for Off-road

I've always been mainly into MX, but as they say "I ain't no spring chicken anymore" so I've been riding off-road more and more lately. Enough that I decided I'm sick of having my stiff MX suspension kicking the crap out of me on the trails. So I went out and picked up a second bike so I could have a dedicated MX bike and a dedicated trail bike.

I've got my trusty 2007 CRF450R as my MX bike now, but I just picked up a 2006 CRF450R for a nice deal.

Now, the problem is I can't decide which bike to use for MX and which one to use for off-road.

From what I can tell the 2007 makes a tiny bit more HP, but the power delivery is much smoother, and comparing them side by side, the 2006 does have a more aggressive feel to it.

So the question is, which is better for trails? The smoother power delivery of the 2007, or the harder hit of the 2006.

What say you?

P.S. yeah, I know I double posted this thread in the MX Riding Technique forum and that is against TT rules....but as saying goes "ownership has it's privileges". :thumbsup:

my vote is for smoother power and tuning the suspension for the terrain.

I vote smoother too.

My preference would be for the smoother power also but no one can make the choice for you. Ride both over various terrain, the choice should become obvious. Then get the suspension dialed on that bike.

I would say to stick with the smoother power for off-road that would be my preference.

Sell 'em both and get a Yamaha.:thumbsup:

Or go for smoother power with suspension valved for off-road.

Its cool you ask this question... My buddy who is also on TT (zgrant231), has an 06 crf450r, and I have an 07. Some time ago he did some work to my bike to help me out. After his initial test ride on trails, he was stoked on how smooth the power was on my 07vs his 06, and how it helped him out alot on the tight trails. He said it made for alot less clutch work in the tight stuff. Here is the video of that test ride!

my vote is for smoother power and tuning the suspension for the terrain.

:thumbsup:

It seems everyone is confirming my initial thoughts.

Honestly, I was hoping someone would talk me into using the '06 for trails and '07 for MX because I have the MX dialed in so perfectly for MX.

Guess I better get to swaping suspension.

Its cool you ask this question... My buddy who is also on TT (zgrant231), has an 06 crf450r, and I have an 07. Some time ago he did some work to my bike to help me out. After his initial test ride on trails, he was stoked on how smooth the power was on my 07vs his 06, and how it helped him out alot on the tight trails. He said it made for alot less clutch work in the tight stuff. Here is the video of that test ride!

Nice video! Good riding! BEAUTIFUL terrain! What more could you ask for?! :thumbsup:

Honestly, I was hoping someone would talk me into using the '06 for trails and '07 for MX because I have the MX dialed in so perfectly for MX.

Ill play devils advocate here.. EITHER bike will be fine in the woods if you like the 06. Yes, the 07 has less hit (as it is nearly identical to the 08 i have). I also have an 04 with an 08 head. The pipe SEEMS to be the huge variable in how these bikes make power. THe 04 has a big diameter head pipe, the 08 has a narrower head pipe that comes out further past the front of the frame, and narrower opening in the muffler.

It is almost a shame to take apart a bike that is working very well for you MX wise.. You will find the power nice in the woods on either bike, but i find my 08 i have to use a bit more throttle due to the smoother power delivery. The 04 has a bit more off the bottom and is nice.

I would make less work for yourself, and just outfit the 06 for woods duty.. keeping your "tried n' true" mx bike as is.

The difference simply is not THAT big.. not like choosing a crf250r or a cr500 two stroke for woods..

Sell 'em both and get a Yamaha.:thumbsup:

x234,658 :thumbsup:

How does the 05' crf450r compare?

There's not that much difference between the '06 and '07. I have an '07 set-up for open desert and it's a great bike. I would leave my '07 alone if it's already good to go then work on getting the '06 trail worthy....suspension and FWW come to mind :thumbsup: One of my buddies has an '06 set-up for off road and it seems more flame out resistent than my '07....making it a better choice/ platform for off road duties maybe.

There is something to what your saying cubera.. after years of riding my 04, and this year racing harescrambles with it, i never thought i needed a flywheel weight. I just got my 08 crf450 and although set up nearly identical to my 04 (gearing, tires, bar positions, etc.) im thinking of getting a 13oz fww for the 08. It just seems to be easier to stall and i find im ham-fisting the throttle more than the 04. Even with both bikes idles turned up a bit..

In the long run you will really enjoy the smoother power of the 07, the time in doing the swap will be well worth it.

Enjoy!

FWW's are something I highly recommend to anyone with a Honda setup for technical riding. Especially for Hondas with Auto Clutches. The Honda motor seems to have the lightest reciprocating mass of the Jap 450's and therefore much easier to stall than the rest.

In the long run you will really enjoy the smoother power of the 07, the time in doing the swap will be well worth it.

Enjoy!

Ok, everyones opinion is relevant, but I actually have two bikes very close in years to the OP's bikes.. i can safely say although they are different, they are not THAT different. It is almost a shame to change out parts on a bike that one has spent years setting up to near PERFECTION for what it's presently used for.. Think of the hours testing, changing shims, fork oil level, etc. to get it REALLY dialed in.. The 06 will be a VERY GOOD WOODS BIKE. As JP indicated in the above post, a $149 FLY WHEEL WEIGHT could make his 06 "tamer".. So, for $149 you can tame the 06 down a tad, and still keep the finely tuned MX 07 machine.

I think too many are reading into the "smoother power delivery" of the 07 further than it really is. The 07/08 especially "feel" like there is less reciprocating mass than the 02-06 bikes with more open exshaust systems and 1m larger exhaust valves.

There's not that much difference between the '06 and '07. I have an '07 set-up for open desert and it's a great bike. I would leave my '07 alone if it's already good to go then work on getting the '06 trail worthy....suspension and FWW come to mind :thumbsup: One of my buddies has an '06 set-up for off road and it seems more flame out resistent than my '07....making it a better choice/ platform for off road duties maybe.
Ok, everyones opinion is relevant, but I actually have two bikes very close in years to the OP's bikes.. i can safely say although they are different, they are not THAT different. It is almost a shame to change out parts on a bike that one has spent years setting up to near PERFECTION for what it's presently used for.. Think of the hours testing, changing shims, fork oil level, etc. to get it REALLY dialed in.. The 06 will be a VERY GOOD WOODS BIKE. As JP indicated in the above post, a $149 FLY WHEEL WEIGHT could make his 06 "tamer".. So, for $149 you can tame the 06 down a tad, and still keep the finely tuned MX 07 machine.

I think too many are reading into the "smoother power delivery" of the 07 further than it really is. The 07/08 especially "feel" like there is less reciprocating mass than the 02-06 bikes with more open exshaust systems and 1m larger exhaust valves.

What they are saying seems most reasonable.

By the sound of it your not some mickey mouse hick weekend rider and you know your way around a bike so either way you go i dont think its gonna matter.

My suggestion is if you like the 07 for the track i dont see why you would go to the effort as to go from setting one bike up to two just leave the 07 and go the 06 set it up nice and soft and slap in a rekluse and "Roberts your fathers brother"

Also if you plan on long trail rides softer seat foam is the go too as mx'ers are a bit rough on the a$$. Rode a mates dirty old DR the other day has a seat like a well worn arm chair and it was so comfy i dont think i stood up all day and didnt get home walking like John Wayne.