Which Husky to buy?

I am looking at a new 2011 310 TE or a used 2008 250 TE with low hours for trail riding, dual sport rides, no racing. New is much more $$, any comments/opinions on either bike would be appreciated. I am looking for a good woods bike, with smooth power.

David

Are you going to race? If not go with the 08 TE250 or find an 09 TE310 like I did and save $. They are really are not dual sports as yanni23 said they wind out fast and buzz like hell on the road at speed.

I had to travel about 35 miles pavement to a riding spot on my TE310 with some buddies, one on a Honda XR650L and the other on a DRZ400S all going about 50-55. By the time I got there my ass was numb. Not like my DR650 on the road but off road with its high rev power it's a blast.

I can't say enough good things about the Huskys if what you're looking for is a well engineered, 50 state legal dirt bike. Easy to work on and ride and its plate makes it handy to run back and forth from trails to the local convenient store.

By the time I got there my ass was numb.

A couple suggestions to help solve that...

1) stand more. yes, even on pavement. It get's that numb ass off the seat that is transmitting the vibrations.

2) get an aftermarket seat like a Renazco or one from XPC racing. They use better quality foam that will handle the vibes better.

A couple suggestions to help solve that...

1) stand more. yes, even on pavement. It get's that numb ass off the seat that is transmitting the vibrations.

2) get an aftermarket seat like a Renazco or one from XPC racing. They use better quality foam that will handle the vibes better.

Yep, I will likely do the seat thing. I've done it on my other dual sports and its a significant improvement.

Have you considered the 2011 TE 449/511? I realize the price is a bit higher than the 2011 310, but the difference in road-riding performance will be HUGE. Also, the Keihin fuel injection on the 449/511's is flawless compared to the Mikuni injection on the '08 TE 250 and '11 TE 310.

Having said all that... if I absolutely couldn't afford the newer Keihin-injected bikes, I would opt for the used '08 TE 250. I owned an '08 TE 250. Once it was broken-in, it was pretty much bulletproof. The injection system improved dramatically as the bike broke in. I can't imagine the engine on the '08 TE being great on the road. It seemed to be much better suited for fire roads, and double trails. It was also a heavy-feeling bike.

Spot on comments above (everyone).

IMHO the older non- x-lite bikes are better for general trail riding. I really like the 08-09 TXC250/310 for that. Just EZ to ride, work well, not real high strung, smooth EZ power, nice soft suspension. Great trail bike. The newer X-lite stuff is more racer focused.

My 08 TXC250 has > 500 hrs and almost zero issues except a few known items .... The 08 TE is basically the same bike with a milder engine, efi, different model Marzocchi forks, and street legal ... same narrow hard seat 4 sure ... Adding 1T to the FS opened the gearing up some for the top-end and the bike is still OK except for very tight ST riding ...

You can't go wrong with either bike and the 250 can be turned into a 310 for about ~$700.00 ..

How many hrs are on the 08?

Check with Heinen's in MN, they had a few left over 09' te250 for cheap, so cheap I bought one. Good bike with high end components. Freeway speeds might be tough to do on this bike for long periods, but on the trail its rock solid. Do the power up kit, If you need help doing this pm me, very easy. Can't beat quality of a Husky.

Check with Heinen's in MN, they had a few left over 09' te250 for cheap, so cheap I bought one. Good bike with high end components. Freeway speeds might be tough to do on this bike for long periods, but on the trail its rock solid. Do the power up kit, If you need help doing this pm me, very easy. Can't beat quality of a Husky.

true that Heinens has always been best price for me plus they usually have a good selection of new non-current stock

They don't have any more. Wish I'd have gotten one when they did, now I'm kicking myself.