draining the radiator??

Wat is the best way to flush out the radiator? I am replacing the hoses with silicone hoses and want to use engine ice. I run it in my quad and notice a difference. I had a shop change that fluid for me.

pull a hose off

Wat is the best way to flush out the radiator? I am replacing the hoses with silicone hoses and want to use engine ice. I run it in my quad and notice a difference. I had a shop change that fluid for me.

If its a dirt bike, there should be a little screw on the water pump that will drain the system. If you pull the radiator cap off that will get the rest out of the hoses. You might have to lean the bike to both sides to get any extra liquid out. I use straight distilled water to flush. I usually fill and run until its warmed up, then drain completely before adding engine ice. A little extra water won't hurt anything. Good Luck

Take off the radiator cap, remove screw from water pump and drain, replace screw and fill with water, crank and idle with the cap off, drain again. Do this twice and fill with Engine Ice. Switched to Engine Ice the other day myself.

I'll be making the switch to Engine Ice this weekend. Happy to see this pop up! :thumbsup:

Are you guys having overheating issues? Is that why you are switching to engine ice? Just curious I'm going to look at an 08' tomorrow to use for trail riding and wondering if these bikes have overheating issues.

my 07 would over heat in tight trails added a boyesen waterpump cover and engine ice and never boiled over again

A Boyesen water pump cover huh, how much do those run? Is just a cover or the impeller too?

I am just changing to engine ice because I like it. I rather have that than the regular fluid in it. I run my quad really hard and never had an issue since I added the engine ice. I also will be adding this to my 09' Rhino. It just a personal preference.

my 07 would over heat in tight trails added a boyesen waterpump cover and engine ice and never boiled over again

I just added one myself and did a ISDE then next day and it work great. No overheating and everything kept cool, although there were some sections that you could get into 5 gear but overall I am really happy with mine. I would recommend them to anyone with overheating issues or tight technical riding.

I have a feeling the Fluidyne radiator "clones" on ebay would work even better.. i dont have any experience thogh.

Bike gets hot running through slow, technical trails but no issues. Better safe than sorry. Plus I run it in my other bikes and it's great. Just one less thing to worry about.

Well I finally got my new hoses on. Looks great. Filled it with engine ice. We will see this weekend how she runs.

Are you guys having overheating issues? Is that why you are switching to engine ice? Just curious I'm going to look at an 08' tomorrow to use for trail riding and wondering if these bikes have overheating issues.

My 08 will get hot when riding REALLY tight single track. Not to the point where it spews coolant, but damn close. I have notices that this bike doesn't like to stay cool unless you are riding at 3rd gear speeds. Boyesen super cooler water pump, and fluidine oversized radiators have been my solution in the past. I dont care too much about my bike overheating in the woods since this bike is setup for MX. But if you plan on converting a MX bike to dedicated trail riding, you may expect to do cooling system mods. The 08 could also use different gearing and a a heavier flywheel if you plan on doing some nasty trails.

Thanks for the post. I ended up coming across a great deal on a 2007 yz450f so ended up going with that. Rode it this past saturday and did quite a bit of brush busting with it and no overheating what so ever. I still think I'll change out the anti-freeze to the Amsoil stuff since I have over 1/2 gallon sitting in the garage, it very similar to engine ice.