Sign in to follow this  

looking to get a new seat

so i'm looking to get a new seat pretty soon for my drz....im height challenged as i find it easier to get on the bike like a horse one foot on the peg stand up and swing the other leg over... and i cant come close to flat footing both feet i can be on the tips of my toes but when it comes to backing up the bike it can be a challenge.....i'm looking at the seat concept seat for a replacement and i want to go for the lower seat.. but i'm also looking to do some track days and maybe race a couple races...but my fear is the lower seat would make it a little more difficult in the corners with my feet being closer to the peg so having to life my feet up more to get them out in a low corner... question is....is this something i should be concerned about would i be better off getting a normal height seat and just deal with the height of the seat

I would see no issues as you are suggesting for the Low seat concepts seat, you could add some lowering links but I vote against that and just go for a shorter seaT

I don't want to add lower links for handling reasons....I just don't want to feel crunched on the bike

im sure it wont be an issue but just want to see what other people experience

I don't want to add lower links for handling reasons....I just don't want to feel crunched on the bike

im sure it wont be an issue but just want to see what other people experience

Links are an option but like you said not the best. What's your Inseam measurement? I have never heard of anyone feeling cramped in the cockpit of a drz. Do you have the stock rubber inserts in your pegs still?

Well you could take the route I did....send your suspension to Eddie, I got mine revalved, resprung and lowered for a very very very reasonable price....(now if that damn UPS truck would just get here).

...and if you contact seat concepts they will make a custom seat.....i'm in the process of that now, I won't need it for street however it will be a little nicer when I throw the dirt tires on it....

-Dan

(oh yeah I stand a stunning 5'2.5" with a 28" inseam on a good day....damn genetics)

i'm not sure on my inseam but i'm only about 5 6

does seat concepts seats help with the tail bone...i get off mine now

and my tail bone is killing me

I just bought a new SM; I am 5'7" tall with a 30" inseam. I'm fine on the SM stock, but I've sat on an S and was definitely vertically challenged. A friend of mine is selling his S which has a Corbin seat. He swapped me his Corbin for my stock seat; what a difference, not only in comfort, but in my ability to hold the bike up when stopped! With the Corbin installed, I can now touch the ground almost flat footed with the 17" wheels. I believe I won't have any problems when I install my 18"/21" wheels/tires, which should be here the end of next week. Try an aftermarket seat first rather an lowering links, which everyone says alters your suspension in a negative way. Unless you're a pro, race regularly, and need cutting edge setup, the slight difference in seat/peg relationship probably won't make a difference for most riders and I believe you'll adapt quickly. I think it would be better to (maybe) be a little cramped than to continually be dropping your bike because your on your tip toes when stopped, particularly on rough terrain!

corbin is low as well.

more comfy than most also.

There is a like new Corbin for $250 in the classified:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=69772&cat=31

-------------->The seller has 3 seats for sale, it's the one on the right with the wide rear section.

:thumbsup:

I bought a used Corbin from a forum member and it will give you the lower seating position you're looking for. I don't need the lower height but was just looking for a bit more comfort and the wider flat rear section will allow you to slide back and be easier on the butt. Slide down and forward when you're pushing the envelope or need the lower height when stopping. It really drops you when you move up towards the tank.

Good luck on your search.

I had the Corbin on mine and ended selling it and going back to the stocker :confused:

I found the the Corbin worked great for long mellow rides but hindered me on the track and trails so went back to the stocker. Just stand up on the pegs when your behind starts to get sore :thumbsup: