Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400s sprockets modify

just getting into riding some steeper single traks and find i'm bogging down enough to want to change the sprocket configuration....any suggestions? heard its best to use a drzE combination, others say going down to a 13 front would be good enough...is there a combination that would fit the chain i have now?thanks

Front sprockets are cheap, drop to a 13t. If you like it, loctite it and ride for a while. Don't over think it...make the cheap change and ride. IMO.

13/48 for single track, 15/48 for dual sporting, 15/44 morading around town. Have a 14 too but not much call for it between the 13 and 15.

14/41 here and it is plenty powerful enough for single track and still gets me up to 65 but it's a bit buzzy.

just getting into riding some steeper single traks and find i'm bogging down enough to want to change the sprocket configuration....any suggestions? heard its best to use a drzE combination, others say going down to a 13 front would be good enough...is there a combination that would fit the chain i have now?thanks

If you have the standard 112 link that comes on the S you can fit 14/47 no problem. I just put 14/49 on my S (I haven't had a chance to try it yet) and it just barely works with 112 links. Requires the adjusters to be all the way forward.

It depends how slow you need to go....Just keep in mind the lower you go for 1st, is going to bring your 5th gear cruising down along with it...

Maybe try 1 tooth lower on the CS and see how that works for you..

thanks for the suggestion....you have to mess with the chain much?

I'm not sure what you mean by "you have to mess with the chain much?"

heard its best to use a drzE combination, others say going down to a 13 front would be good enough

assuming you are starting with stock S gearing, going to E sprockets vs. keeping your current rear and dropping to 13 in the front will be about the same from a gearing standpoint.

stock S gearing is 15/44 for a gear ratio of 2.93

E gearing is 14/47 for a gear ratio of 3.36

S with a 13T front is 13/44 for a gear ratio of 3.38

the E sprockets might be a little easier on your chain, though. the smaller the sprocket gets the tighter the chain has to bend to get around it. i don't know if it really makes much difference, but, in theory at least, it could cause your chain to wear more quickly.

(i run my S at 14/44 which helps a bit relative to stock gearing on single track, but still lets me cruise at 70mph on the highway without problem. i would like to go 14/47 for off road, but am a bit hesitant about what it will do to me on the highway...and i end up riding a lot of highway. i'll probably try it out at some point, though.)

You can do a 14/47 sprocket set-up without changing the chain. I did and it gave me the grunt I was looking for without too much loss for the highway.

I went to a 14 front on my S about a month ago and didn't realize until a couple days ago that the rear is a 45. My commute is around 60-65 mph. The 15/45 put me right in the bad vibration zone at this speed. With the 14/45 the little raise in RPM makes 60-65 much smoother in the footpegs and handlebars.

I took a small step and went from 15 front to 14 and it made a big difference on my S thinking about teh 47 in back but happy for now.