Sign in to follow this  

Tall adult rider looking for first bike advice

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on my first dirt bike purchase. A little info/background on me:

I am 35 years old, 6-6, about 265ish lbs... I have a very limited amount of street riding time in the late 90's on a dual sport bike, (so I know the basics of clutch work, turning etc) but completely new to the dirt and recently took an off road class.

I've been researching and learning as much as I can and from what I understand it's better to grow into power on a bike, vs have too much while learning the ropes of off road. Is this a good approach to take? I am on a budget and looking to spend around $2K for my first bike, then go from there. I want a lightweight bike to learn on riding trails then as my skills progress I can think about upgrading down the road. I know there will need to be mods made regardless of what bike I get.. ie: stiffer suspension, handlebar risers, possible footpeg adjustments, etc. I've been looking at Yamaha.. (Solid motors from what I understand and tend to be the biggest/tallest out of most off road bikes out there). I've looked at some WR's, but really like the YZ250F's which are in my price range. I know it's a race bike, but then again a lot of guys tweak them for trail riding too. I like the low weight and red sticker prices on used ones right now..

I know the YZ250's are pretty quick, but with my size would this work for me as a newbie?

What are you thoughts/recommendations?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I doubt a 250F would have any trouble hauling your weight, I was 235 when I road the last one I did with no problems. I find the recent Yamaha's I've ridden to be somewhat cramped and I'm only 6'1". Though I suppose with a tall seat and moving the bars forward it would be okay. The YZ250 has a lot more low-end torque, and with a little throttle control shouldn't be too harry to handle. 300cc kits from Eric Gore might be something to consider if you want even more low-end beans. I suspect you'd want to move to a 450 or YZ250 within a season or two, but the 250F would probably be the safe bet for today

No f'ing way - 250 is way too small. You should get a WR450 or XR. YOu can change the seat, add risers and lower the pegs. I'm 6"4 and my WR450 fits like a glove. The YZ is a great bike but not great for a newbee and it is not great in the woods. When you stall on a steep hill or in a swamp the electric start is very nice. Just my opinions... If you will be heading to a MX track often then think about a YZ450F. In the end these bikes are built for guys that are 150lbs and 5'8 - so it will never be perfect for you but don't go with a 250

i think your best bet is to get a 250 2 smoke and then get a 450 when your ready for that. probably in 2 or 3 years

Don't forget to check out what Husqvarna has to offer. The taller crowd tends to like the ergos of the Husky.

i think your best bet is to get a 250 2 smoke and then get a 450 when your ready for that. probably in 2 or 3 years

+1

I'm 6'5 200 ish. I used to have a 250 four stroke. At your weight stay away from it. I now ride a 250 two stroke and am very pleased with it.

Thanks guys. I never even thought about a 2 stroke...I've always heard they are snappy which makes them hard for a newbie...but didn't consider it might work with my size...

Thanks guys. I never even thought about a 2 stroke...I've always heard they are snappy which makes them hard for a newbie...but didn't consider it might work with my size...

you can minimize the snap with a little work and it would really work for your size because you will still be able too muscle that bike around. for example my 02 yz250F is 213 lbs dry and the yz250 2 stroke is 215 dry. it will be like having the power of a 400 4 stroke with the weight of a 250 four stroke. pretty nice bike for someone your size

You're in an interesting spot with your size (both height and weight) but coupled with very minimal street experience. You're already aware that any bike is going to need modification for your height, so you're a step ahead realizing this. I rode a modern YZ as the first bike I got back into riding as an adult (27). At that point I was just shy of 240lbs. It worked pretty well actually, and I rode it on difficult (by beginner standards) trails. That said, I spent as much time as possible from the years 10-17 riding my dirtbike whenever possible, so I had the basics there, I was just rusty.

I'd contend that a 250F would be enough bike for you to get going on, and has a better powerband for learning than a MX based 250 2-stroke, even at your size. An XR or DRZ 400 are heavy by comparison but have excellent powerplants for learning.

Finally, and this is the advice I am most leaning towards, KTM makes excellent 2 stroke trail machines that can occasionally be found inexpensively and have an excellent combination of light weight, great power (both in delivery and amount) and relatively simple maintenance. Good luck!:thumbsup:

you can minimize the snap with a little work and it would really work for your size because you will still be able too muscle that bike around. for example my 02 yz250F is 213 lbs dry and the yz250 2 stroke is 215 dry. it will be like having the power of a 400 4 stroke with the weight of a 250 four stroke. pretty nice bike for someone your size

How does one go about "minimizing the snap" as you said? Do you mean doing something to the bike mechanically? I just got an 88' Kawasaki KDX250 2 stroke and its very snappy and a bit scary to ride right now as I'm still learning how to manipulate the clutch effectively and all that (Have a difficult time getting going outta first without stalling still :-/ )

Thanks sir!!

Honda xr's are a little heavy but they are great bikes to learn on, they have plenty of smooth power and they're basically bullet proof. I would look into and xr250 or xr400. Would be a good bike that you would be able to ride fro a long time with virtually no matinence. :thumbsup:

newest yz 250 (2stroke) you can find, add pipe, spark arrester, flywheel weight, bark buster, skid plate, and have the most fun of your life. just my opinion.

07' Kawasaki KLX300 - $1800 (Clovis)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2011-05-03, 7:05PM PDT

Reply to: sale-gwfee-2361223042@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07' Kawasaki KLX 300 R $1850 O.B.O

Great bike, just as happy in the tight trails as it is in open desert. Runs great, motor is still very strong, all maintenance was kept up. It has a jet kit and K&N air filter to help it breathe better. No modifications to the engine or transmission. Some scratches and wear on swing arm and frame, what you would expect from a dirt bike that has been used but never abused. I am moving on to an enduro and can't justify keeping it.

Email or call me at 559-246-6592

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

lots of good deals out there, this one is from fresno

1991 CR250 Honda - $800 (Hanford)

Date: 2011-05-03, 11:50AM PDT

Reply to: sale-c9tbk-2360410726@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Honda CR250 1991, $800 OBO

Low miles, runs great, reliable bike

call (559) 584-4276

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

or something like this and have a lot of cash to set it up for yourself. i have a 1990 yz 250 and its still a great bike. picked mine up for 900$ and besides the plastics being roached it is mechanically in perfect shape. i dont care about plastics being pretty so i just left them on. good luck!!

Similar age, height and weight. Got an '02 YZ250 for my first bike. Swapped springs, tall seat, RC high bars and tried it out.

More throttle response than I was really prepared for. I've driven some really fast cars, but this thing is a handful! I can totally see how an experienced rider on a track would be disappointed with anything less and want even more, but it's going to take some time to get used to controlling it.

Look for a thread in the off-road section called something like "Balance, bar position and whiskey throttle". I discuss my thoughts on the ergonomics relative to my height and further adding Rox risers oriented almost horizontally in order to set the tall bars further forward. Some good advice from 2PLY in there. I still haven't had a chance to ride the new setup, as my buddy got sick last weekend.

I also added an 11-oz Steahly, as I mostly plan to do trails, and even very experienced riders often say it's the best thing they did to their bike for trails riding.

I didn't want to get a bike that would leave me wanting more too soon (and then getting a new bike and spending all the setup money over again), and I'm sure the YZ won't be that. However, if I was to start over, I would probably go with an XR400 or KDX220 for their more tractable power. I would just accept that changing to a new bike when I'm ready is the cost of doing business with this hobby. I've also contemplated doing a 144 ported for low-mid power and a FWW, but kinda wonder how it would carry my weight around (easily 270 in gear).

I still think I have enough mountain biking and quad experience that with an XR-like power delivery, I would be able to ride more confidently than I was, just going out and focusing on riding trails. However, we'll see what happens with the improved ergo on the bike and FWW. I expect it to be a big improvement, non-linear with seat time, hoping that I was challenged by simple physics (which I can deal with fairly effectively) as much as my lack of skill and/or talent (stuck with the talent, skill will come).

I'm still going to devote a decent amount of time to basic skills development drills in non-challenging riding areas, to work on managing the power and getting used to how this thing works. Not even a 125 is as flickable as my mountain bike, so it's going to take some training to understand what its characteristics are and how to use them.