Anybody else get cramps?

Whenever i go and kickstart my bike i get the biggest cramp in my leg and sometimes foot. Is there anything you guys do to get rid of them or at least help with them so they dont hurt as bad. I heard bananas are good?

Me to, late on the race day, my whole body begin to cramp. moust in my legs but sometimes in my arms to.

i haven't fiqured out a solution yet. the kickstart one is also common, because i have to bend my leg so much to reach the kickstarter, i am kind of tall. about 6,5.

Most likely a combination of muscle fatige, dehydrartion and a build up of lactic acid in the muscle. A few things to try. hydrate more during the day warm down ie dont go from flat out to stop try walking around and stretching also can come down to how fit you are.

I have gotten the kickstart cramp myself and it SUCKS! Be 3/4 of the way thru 2 hour hare scramble, stall. Go to start bike, cramp and can't do ANYTHING for a couple minutes! Best things I've found in research is hydrate and stretch.

Although not from MX, my experience in cramping during sports has been mainly because of Dehydration. Whenever you are dehydrated you muscles are way more apt to cramp up. Cramps also can form from lactic acid build up. Potassium helps to reduce lactic acid build up and that is why banana's are good because they are supposedly high in Potassium. I used to eat a banana about 10-20mits before a long workout while swimming. Hydrating is hard during riding unless you carry a camel bak. Small sips are better than large amounts as well. Salt helps to retain water, which is why drinks like poweraid/gateraid etc help as well. Lastly, I found that stretching out really well beforehand really helps. I would do a little exercise to get my heart rate up and muscles a little limber than I would stretch the muscles that I was prone to cramp. Remember to not bounce in your stretching and hold the stretch for at least 20 seconds while breathing well. The breathing well is important as it feeds oxygen to your blood and thus your muscles while stretching.

On a side note, if your like me, you forget to breath in the heat of a race and that will not help with cramping either! SO BREATH LOTS :thumbsup:

The BUg

Although not from MX, my experience in cramping during sports has been mainly because of Dehydration. Whenever you are dehydrated you muscles are way more apt to cramp up. Cramps also can form from lactic acid build up. Potassium helps to reduce lactic acid build up and that is why banana's are good because they are supposedly high in Potassium. I used to eat a banana about 10-20mits before a long workout while swimming. Hydrating is hard during riding unless you carry a camel bak. Small sips are better than large amounts as well. Salt helps to retain water, which is why drinks like poweraid/gateraid etc help as well. Lastly, I found that stretching out really well beforehand really helps. I would do a little exercise to get my heart rate up and muscles a little limber than I would stretch the muscles that I was prone to cramp. Remember to not bounce in your stretching and hold the stretch for at least 20 seconds while breathing well.

The BUg

Great information. I've read magnesium also helps in cramping.

I always get cramping in my toes!!! Whether on my BMX pedals or on the footpegs of my bike. Also the arch of my foot is a spot that likes to cramp.