Sign in to follow this  

which enduroish 250 4 stroke?

I am after a 250 4 stroke, road registered bike.

Iv narrowed it down to husqvarna te250/310 honda crf250x yamaha wr250

ill be riding in the bush, forrests, beach, odd motocross track

iam 18 185cm tall (about 6ft) 80kg (about 170lb???) i havnt really ridin a bike for a few years. but iam keen to get back into it. the bikes iv listed will probably be new or near new. also i live pretty much the same distance from all the dealers. what do you recomend? what are some pros cons on the bikes? what would you choose?

ive got a crf250x and love it,im 5'7"and 170 it registered for the street but geared low so you would probably want to change the gearing a bit for much rd riding some people have valve issues with these bikes but some dont,mine has close to 2000 miles on it with the original valves and still no issues change the oil every 15hrs or so clean your air filter after every ride and stay off the rev limiter and your bike will last a long time...just my 2 cents

im unsure of a KTM iv heard really good things and really bad things about them, iv heard the yammys are reliable but the husky seems to be better on paper??? 6 gears, efi, etc

I just picked up a left over 09' te250 from Heinen's for 4500.00 otd. Bike is really nice and has great components on it (Brembo, braided lines, braking rotors) Holds 1.8 gallons of fuel, which I can get 60 miles out of a tank. EFI and electric start are a bonus. Husky's are tough as nails and require very little valve maintance. If you purchase, do the power up kit.

WR's are strong bikes, and my uncle has a Husky TE510 and its really good. so either way the WR250F and TE250 are both good

im unsure of a KTM iv heard really good things and really bad things about them, iv heard the yammys are reliable but the husky seems to be better on paper??? 6 gears, efi, etc

IMHO, I'm not sold on EFI yet. Lots of little niggling issues with most of the EFI bikes out there regardless of brand. A carb isn't a big deal, especially with all the help out there to help get the jetting dialed in. Don't have to worry about a fuel pump going out, a fuel filter/injector getting plugged by dirt in the gas, etc...

KTMs are as good as anything else out there. IMHO, all the bikes out there are pretty darn good anymore. You're better off shopping dealers than brands. If you have a good dealer, that makes all the difference when you're new to the sport and need someone to lean on for advice/help.

Be careful with the wr if you plan on getting the bike registered. The X model can be registered but the wr250f you will have a hard time. Many states will make you add turn signals, horn and mirrors. The te is easy to register and you will not have to add anything. Just my two cents.

Be careful with the wr if you plan on getting the bike registered. The X model can be registered but the wr250f you will have a hard time. Many states will make you add turn signals, horn and mirrors. The te is easy to register and you will not have to add anything. Just my two cents.

The really varies from state-to-state and country-to-country. Not sure where OP lives, but he did reference himself in metric, so Canada or Oceana maybe?

If its to be a plated bike, then you have to get the husky.

the Yamaha has a nice track record of longevity and reliability, but its only a 5 speed. For any type of competitive riding, I'd prefer a 6 speed.

Fuel injection is the way to go. Hard to imagine buying a bike these days without it.

KTM's are great bikes too.

There is really no bad choice for you. Find the one you get the best deal on and pull the trigger

to answer most of the questions above, im from Australia, ill be riding alot of sand, forrest, hill climbs, general bush bashing around, beach, the odd mx track, trails, and riding on the road to get to tracks and stuff. im lookin at either the yammi or the husky, i think i might go the husky the dealers here are pretty goood and all have heaps of stock, the one thing i dont really understand is the price, from what i can see in america they are around $7000?? and the bikes are made in japan/italy, and here in australia THE SAME bikes are about $11,000 and yet the aussie dollar is higher than the american at the moment

the one thing i dont really understand is the price, from what i can see in america they are around $7000?? and the bikes are made in japan/italy, and here in australia THE SAME bikes are about $11,000 and yet the aussie dollar is higher than the american at the moment

The pricing is set months in advance of a model release. Since we're at the tail end of the '11 model year, that means they were set over a year ago. With the volatility in currency exchange, especially the drop in the US dollar, it's not surprising to see discrepancies like this right now. It wasn't that long ago when the Aussie dollar was worth $0.60 US. Same with the Canadain dollar, just a few years ago it was worth about $.055, now it's worth over $1. The manufacturers set their price and stick with it for the model year for the most part, and buy and sell currency as part of their investments to try to minimize the damage. They do NOT adjust MSRP daily, weekly, or even monthly based on current exchange rates.

im fairly sure the aussie dollar has been up for a while now, (Longer than a few months possibly a year) how hard would it be importing a bike form USA or italy?

would it be worth waiting for the 2012 models to come out then buy a 2011, when does the next model usually come out? july?

would it be worth waiting for the 2012 models to come out then buy a 2011, when does the next model usually come out? july?

If the Aussie $ is up compared the the EU compared to a year ago, it might be worth waiting.

TE or WR!

CRF has good performance, but the engine will need work and overhaul much sooner!

I know many Huskys and some WRs with some hundred hours without a new valve or piston. And nearly all of the few CRFs I know, needed many bucks for valves and pistons before 100 hrs.

PS: I say that although I love Honda since 1984! :thumbsup:)