2008 yz250f Oil Change

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum. I just bought a 2008 yz250f. I really like the bike and it runs great. So i just changed the oil and the book told me to put in 1.15 liters with a new oil filter. So that what i did and it says the oil should be at the full line on the sight glass... but when the bikes off it seems to be at the very top of the sight glass, maybe a little over the top. But when i start the bike the line goes to the very bottom almost to where i cant see it. I just didnt know if this seemed right cause i feel like i should be able to see a little bit of oil when the bike is running. Thanks for any help/advice

Normal.

As dvn said it's normal. You'll probably even find that after you run it thru the gears the oil level is going to change again but as long as you put in the recommended amount of oil you are good 2 go

as long as your site glass is full or near the top when its cold your fine.

Is the capacity of oil the same as the 2007 model?

These bikes aren't very picky. My sight glass cold is always full clear to the top. Maybe even over a bit. I always put just 1 full qt in just so I don't have to open another qt for the extra .15 - not enough to worry about IMO.

Hey guys, i'm new to this forum. I just bought a 2008 yz250f. I really like the bike and it runs great. So i just changed the oil and the book told me to put in 1.15 liters with a new oil filter. So that what i did and it says the oil should be at the full line on the sight glass... but when the bikes off it seems to be at the very top of the sight glass, maybe a little over the top. But when i start the bike the line goes to the very bottom almost to where i cant see it. I just didnt know if this seemed right cause i feel like i should be able to see a little bit of oil when the bike is running. Thanks for any help/advice

Hi I just changed oil on my 08 WR250f for the first time yesterday as well. What I did was to fill oil to the top of the sight glass when the bike is running. Is that too much, causing damage to the engine? If so I'll drain some of it out.

Hi I just changed oil on my 08 WR250f for the first time yesterday as well. What I did was to fill oil to the top of the sight glass when the bike is running. Is that too much, causing damage to the engine? If so I'll drain some of it out.

Way too much. Use the correct amount according to the book, COLD. The sight class is full when the oil is cold and bike is at rest, because all the oil is in the bottom of the pan. But when the bike is running and the oil is circulating, it is not ALL in the pan anymore, it is spread throughout the WHOLE lubrication system, making the sight glass appear empty. DO NOT OVER ADD, you can ruin the bike just as bad as not using enough oil.

ruin a dry sump motor from too much oil?

HA HA HA HA HA oh my i'm gonna cry i'm laughing so hard.

maybe if you put in 4x too much.

These bikes aren't very picky. My sight glass cold is always full clear to the top. Maybe even over a bit. I always put just 1 full qt in just so I don't have to open another qt for the extra .15 - not enough to worry about IMO.

I'm just knitpicking here, but a qt is 946ml ( I round up to 950ml's). You therefore are running 200 ml's low on oil or 17.5% low.

17.5% low is a little out of my comfort zone.

ruin a dry sump motor from too much oil?

HA HA HA HA HA oh my i'm gonna cry i'm laughing so hard.

maybe if you put in 4x too much.

hear me out. Maybe not AS bad, but bad in its own way. Oil is designed to provide lubrication and help remove heat from the engine. If a bike is designed to have 1000cc of oil, that is the amount, no more, no less. If somebody puts in too much oil, then it takes longer to circulate and does not remove heat at the same rate as the proper amount of cc's. Now, with the frequency of oil changes on 4t's, it really isn't going to hurt anything, but in the long haul, the engine has sustain higher operating temperatures than normal. Will it really hurt the bike? probably not, but still.....too much is just as bad a not enough.

I have seen the effects of this on a high performance race car with a dry sump system. Oil didn't have a chance to cool off quickly enough and it shortened the life of the engine. Think about the max RPM's on a MX bike in the heat of August, and how that affects the oil. That alone is enough to make you shiver.

sure the bikes arnt to picky but its best to put in recomended oil level. say if it blows up and you take it to the dealer he has a look at the engine and asks you how much oil you put and you say not the full amount it wont look good. its nice to have peace of mind knowing you bike is running right.