send this idiot packing???

ok so theres this exhaust packing thread in the general chat forum and its got me a little confused:confused:...do we need to pack our silencers?:confused:i didnt see anything about this in the service manual???is this an aftermarket exhaust thing???does my stock 05X need to be packed???there was no packing in it when i took it apart and drilled out the defuser...thanks and dont beat me up too bad on this please lol:ride::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure the stock exhaust is possible to repack but I'm not sure.

Stock can is not designed to be repacked. I think Yamaha expects a new can. Probably something to do with the EPA/Noise/Forrestry legal stuff and not thinking a field tech can do it right. Aftermarket has no responsibility and therefore they make it easy.

The aftermarket pipes, and the stock R pipes, do need to be repacked. The X does not.

**edit** I re-checked mine (took it off ASAP) and found this to be true.

Edited by mgentz

Ther is no packing in a stock 250x silencer. It does not need repacking.:thumbsup:

Ther is no packing in a stock 250x silencer. It does not need repacking.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

ok cool thats what i thought,no packing doesnt need to be repacked,got some conflicting answers on a diffrent thread

the r model needs to be packed, maybe thats confusing some people

+1 nothing in the OE muffler to repack. Stock mufflers are a chambered system that uses no packing. Aftermarket pipes are usually a straight through design and therefore use packing to try and quiet them down - though even the best materials only reduce sound levels a couple db.

That said, you do need to clean the spark arrestor screen from time to time.

the r model needs to be packed, maybe thats confusing some people

yeah i bet thats it,i cleaned the spark arrester a few weeks ago when i drilled out the diffuser